anesthesiathe, what do you use?

macka

My pearl arowana has gill curl and i have a vet willing to do the operation but i cannot find the required info to give to him for knocking the fish out so he can trim tne gill covers for me. Does anyone know what to use, any help will truly gratefull.

Hi macka

whether triming it off helps is still questionable.

it is however widely practiced in Singapore with seemingly satisfactory results??

Clove oil/eugenol is easily availabe from your local pharmacy.

just do a google search under 'fish + anesthesia + clove oil'

should find a site with dose rates etc. It is extremely safe n effective, as good as tricaine, MS222.......i like to dissolve mine in a bit of acetone, but this isn't necessary. u have to shake the oil in a vial of water till it emulsifises, then add to container with fish in it.

make sure your vet is experienced with monitoring fish anesthetic.

Don't forget the basics---- aeration, aeration, aeration....

n really, there arn't any 'safe' anesthetic drugs, only 'safe' anesthetists.

u can even use baking soda with vinegar although this usually gives a rougher induction phase where the fish struggles a bit more before going narcotic.

good luck!

Cheers Wayne, I think this is the vets first time operating on a fish, but in his defence his friend from uni is working with marine fish in australia and has been seeking info from him. The pearls gill covers are curved on the edges so it is going to a slight trim compared to some of the pics of ops you see, he is just really ugly with these gills curved, such a shame for he is a really nice fish. :D