Cocatoo spiraling HELP

mat692

HELP my male Cockatoo has started spiraling when it swims. one of its eyes seem to be looking up and the other down. Any ideas . I have moved him to a smaller tank (less to dose) and dosed with melafix and stress coat. it started happening yesterday but seemed to go away, now its permanant :( ???????????????????

I have had this kind of thing happen for two different cockatoos - very sad :( they are one of my favorite fish.

In my case, neither of them survived. (sorry)

They both developed it following a water change - because they are so inquisitive, i assumed that they may have gotten in the way of the gravel vac and had a bump - but I am pretty careful to keep away from them all...

I make sure my water going in is very similar in temp to the water allready in the tank, and in fact put it through the filter, so it is mixed thoroughly before it enters the tank at all. Also, I do water changes pretty frequently, so there won't have been any dramatic fluctuation in water parameters that could cause it.

I'm giving cockatoos a rest at the moment - too sad to lose them.

yea evil its him was a beauty, everyone commented on him, hes still alive but doesnt seem to be getting better :( resting alot as I think the spiraling would be wearing him out and making him dizzy :-? hope he dosent die as hes my fav fish (in the community tank))))

is he like spiralling as in always turning a certain way or spiralling as in going belly up the spinning back upright, belly up, then upright again, if it's the later, i'd put him out of his misery, thats got something to do with the lateral line in them being damaged and cant keep themselves upright in the water anymore, most fish that we have do that usually die within a hour of it starting or i put them out of their misery