Culturing wingless fruit flies

bazza

just remember the corn flour is the yellow flour not the fine white cornflour often used for thickening in cooking- most bulk food places have it and really cheap. The plastic mesh referred to I obtained from Spotlight here in Auckland but most sewing supplies should have it- can be reused for culture but make sure it has been well washed before hand- I let it soak in a bit of Janola and water for for a while to sterilise it before each use

I have a mixture that I make up in powder form and can be stored dry until mixed with water and heated. It is starch, sugar,yeast,agar and preservative. When required I mix with water and heat up. It makes 3 small containers and remains like firm jelly so you can tip the container up. The preservative stops it going mouldy and stinky. I use old yeast that is no longer active (cheap) as a source of nutrient. The source of starch and sugar does not matter too much.