Shipping corals *Is it possible*

PENEJANE

I was wondering if its possible to ship corals?

Reason I ask is that the salt tank at the only pet store down here has mainly fake coral and the stuff that is alive doesn't live for long so its a lost cause buying from there.

The tank is 7gallon tank with a 13watt Jebo clip on light. So I am interested in things that would work well under this light setup.

Also what price range would I be looking at for the coral itself and shipping. Cheers.

*please note* this should probably be in the trade and exchange section but the main question is can they be shipped.

:hail:

oh :-? I was told in the other thread that that would be fine for the 7gallon setup. I was only looking at easy care things that can handle the low light. What about two of them? That would make it 26watts for 7 gallons.

Also note (don't know if it makes any difference or not) but there will be a false wall put in which will reduce the depth by about 3 inches or so to hide the powerheads behind as well as the heater. So that is going from 24.5cms deep to 17cms deep. The height is only 28cms and with a 3cm drop from the top and about the same in sand it will then only become 22cms in height available.

because I thought that would create dead spots. Expecially around the heater.

Ok for 7gallons of water how much light do I need? Some are saying the Jebo 13w light will be fine for the low light corals. Others are saying I need more. I am not looking at going full hog like you guys do. I just want something that will work fine in what I have available. I have been told that some mushrooms and a couple of others will be fine under this low light.

Cheers.

hammer corals have done well in low light areas

likewise. all my euphyllia are much happier when put in areas that are more shaded - perhaps low/moderate light. one torch coral looked bleached when i put it out directly under the 400's. moved it back down the tank and its happy again :D

Awesome so its settled. I can use that light on the 7g tank and don't have to worry about the false wall.

Would it be wise to put a protector over the heater? I don't want to rely on rock to hide everything and I will opt for a HOB filter as I don't want to drill the tank.

Hoping to get this started over the next few months :D

Cheers

Ok I am looking for HOB filters and was kinda lost. I know that you need more water turned over per hour compared to freshwater so was wondering for 27 ltrs what size filter would I be looking at? How much water do I need to turn per hr?

I know that with any filter you remove the media but some have said to add coral rubble in to a HOB filter to help. Is this suitable for 27ltrs?

Cheers

For your tank & the kind of corals you will keep not a lot of flow is needed just quite a small HOB would do, bigger won't hurt though.

Wouldn't bother putting a protector over the heater.

There's a number of ways to do it, but IMO a good way would be to have some liverock in the tank, around 2 or 3 kg, and in the HOB filter have a bag of carbon, and a bag of phosphate remover such as Rowaphos. This will keep the tank nice and clean and do away with the need for a skimmer.

You'll probably get some other set up options suggested also, & they will probably work too, just take your pic which will suit you best.

LOL fair enough. Its a HOB filter. Aquaclear brand and 50 for the size and stuff I think.

Here is a link to them all

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h112aquaclears.htm

The aquaclear 50 -- Full Flow Control: 66 U.S. Gal. (250 l) per hour

Would that be to much for the 27ltrs? or would I be better with the Aquaclear 20? -- Full Flow Control: 33 U.S. Gal. (124 l) per hour

Cheers.

Hope that helps to clear things up Wasp :D

:bounce:

It is generally considered that the absolute minimum flow for a marine tank is 10 x tank volume per hour, so that 250 litres per hour is just about there for a 27 litre tank. As Suphew said though, more is better.

Just a couple of things, the flow might be a bit different coming from a HOB filter, might help to put an extension tube on the intake & have the intake other end of the tank from the outlet so the flow has to cover the whole tank. The kind of low light organisms you will keep also mostly like low flow so you're probably OK.

Other thing is I'm not sure in such a small tank if 10 x flow will behave the same as 10 x flow in a bigger tank, so might be best to take advice from some of those nano guys about this.

It's a thing with people moving to marine, used to fresh water flow rates. The marine organisms we keep may look frail, but are able to exist stuck to a rock, with waves crashing over them. It is lack of current that screws them up as they don't get that for long periods in nature. Having said that, strong current in only one direction can also be negative they prefer surging type current. Hence the reason for all the time salties spend talking about flow, it's a science.