Lost a few Guppies

MicB

I think the last water change has caused a few deaths this week. I use cold water for water changes 25% = 40l.

I have read somewhere that copper can effect fish from the hot water tank.

My temp crashed down to about 21 from 27. I only lost adult guppies no babies. Tetras OK bristlenose Ok Redtail shark Ok.

So is the copper an issue if so how do you preheat your water or is a little hot water OK.

The fish got clamped gills and then started shimering and would die pretty quick.

I have treated with meds for fin problems etcs but has not helped the serious ones.

Thanks

Mike

Yes, I believe a temp change from 27 to 21 is quite a drop in one shot.

Last winter I did add some warm water when filling my containers that I use. I have copper pipes as well. I emailed the company that makes the water conditioner I add and they said it makes the water safe, so I am trusting them :-? 8)

Summer time, I just get the water ready at the very least a day ahead of water change.

i have always used warm water out out of the tap with out problems.

some people get big plastic containers and fill these up with water and have a heater running in there with an air stone and after 24hours or so the cholrine evaperates. this is called ageing the water.

i think im going to start doing it this way as its cheap than buying decholrineaters and will be the same temp as the fishtank there for there shouldnt be any temp flux.

you can also have a pump in there with a hose on it running into you fish tank so once youve syhponed the water just plug in the pump and watch it fill up, no more buckets :bounce:

I always add water that is about the same temp as the tank, straight from the tap. If copper is an issue you can use conditioners like Caper said.

I don't use anything anymore, I used to use Stresscoat and Stresszyme, but stopped and haven't lost any fish because of it that I can tell. However, the water in Chch is not treated with any chemicals, so can't vouch for anywhere that has treated water.

• 1 month later...

Commiserations on losing your guppies. I have not used water from the hot tap because of the effects from sitting in the hot water cylinder (quite possibly this is unnecessary, but I always feel safer that way. What I use is water from the jug - I boil the jug and add about a quarter boiling water and three quarters tap cold water, mixing in a separate container to get the right temp - it takes no time at all. Is this an ok way of doing things?

Cheers, Sam