Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Golden Algae eaters

Featured Replies

Does anyone know much about Golden Algae eaters? I have a friend who is having all sorts of trouble with agression with hers. Do they attack and kill other fish? Her one seems to be chasing the corys. She found a dead fish but is unsure if it was because of the algae eater. He is now around 5cm.

Any help on this greatfully appreciated - thank you

Cheers

Hi Cath, golden or brown makes no difference to these.

I just hope that no one put in an ID for them so that they won't be imported again.

They are, in my opinion, highly overated for a so called algae eater.

As for killing fish? They may harrass them enough for the fish to die,

but you'll find that if they find a body, it is swooped on and disappears quite rapidly,

If this behaviour is seen, the death is quickly, and I think wrongly, attributed to the CAE.

Alan

NZKA 104

There was another thread on these fish wasn't there?

I have Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) and was worried that this applied to them also. From what I have read, it is their very similar looking counterparts that are aggressive and not these? Or am I wrong.

I have been giving them all sorts of suspicious stares lately and I think I may have been a little unfair. :)

edit: found it - http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/golden ... t7920.html

I have a problem with one of mine. If he finds the tank to clean of algae he will eat the slim off of my gouramis. He'll only stop once I've droped some algae in there for him to eat.

  • Author

thanks Guys! I will relay this along.

What algae eaters do you reccomend, from what I have read about the Chinese algae eater, they seem to become very agressive too. Do flying foxes do the job? What about Bristlenosed catfish?

It's a shame about the golden algae eaters they're very pretty.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.