Discus fry dilemma

freshwest

Sad news on the 1st batch of fry.

About a week ago I began to wonder if the fins were developing correctly, as they didn’t look right. The anal and dorsal fins were not growing correctly

I posted the problem on a Dutch discus forum and was informed that it was caused by any of the following, poor water when they were very young, not enough minerals in the water or something missing in their diet.

It’s a real shame as they are growing so well

Heres a pic of them

aquarium093.jpg

Fingers crossed for the other 2 batches of fry in the breeding tank.

This disappointment has spurred me into getting some proper breeding tanks set up.

• 1 month later...

Better news with the second batch of young from the BlueSnakeskin x Colbolt pair. I now have a batch of 50 6-week-old young. Unlike the 1st batch this batch has perfect fins. The main difference in growing this batch from the last was this time I lifted the kh of the water after hatching. Seems that a lack of minerals was the cause of the first batch having deformed fins.

The batch of Blue Snakeskin x Blue Diamond young suffered the same fate as the 1st batch of ss/colbolt in having deformed fins. Not sure when I will try breeding from this pair again as they are know in the 1300-l tank. They still spawn every week or so but he chances of them raising any fry in there is next to zero.

• 3 months later...

Time for an update on my discus dilemma. I took some pics of the young from my Blue S/S X Colbolt pair. This is the 3 spawning I have kept from this pair the young in the pics are 4 months old.

It has been interesting to see the different types of colours that have resulted from this pair.

Pic 1 is of a solid blue s/s type. Around 30% of the young are this type.

23e72b05.jpg

Pic2 is of a green checkerboard type about 20 % are of this type

Tank0806013.jpg

Pic3 is more of the BSS

Tank0806001.jpg

Another interesting type which I dont have a pic of is a 5/6 bar colbolt type. These fish have amazing colour. About 20% are of this type . The rest of the batch is made up shade in between.