How much live rock do you really need?

lduncan

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yuck imo! nice colours, but in terms of layout in my bottom 5! i prefer a natural appearance and a more 3D look. that looks like a giant frag growout tank :lol:

WHAT!!!!

Natural, i think it looks pretty natural, at least its getting away from the brick wall look.

All those corals are out of the same location as well. One of the only tanks i no of like it.

I would be proud to have that tank, but have to agree with James, the arches help but it does just look like a line of corals (although stunning looking corals). The pictures make the tank look very long and thin, maybe it is less 2D in real life.

:D hence the reason we have onscreen names. yes, its chimera. james is my alter-ego :lol:

thats bombers tank off RC.

Are you looking at the same tank Chimera???

yes, the one just above my "yuck" post :D

Natural, i think it looks pretty natural, at least its getting away from the brick wall look

could not disagree more, very unnatural. find me a reef that looks like that. and the brick wall look? yes, i find that bloody ugly too!!!

and i am talking about the layout, not the corals in particular or the colour.

There's only so much you can do with a 10 foot, by 2.5 foot tank (I think that's the dimensions) as far as aquascaping goes.

I like the idea of it, it would look much better if it was more three dimensional, say if the tank was twice as wide. But I like the skeleton type structure of it.

Here is the full tank with just rock:

rock.jpg

Then with corals added:

rockandcorals.jpg

I think you guys are ALL weird.

Colour? There isn't any. How can Jxxxxx say the colour is good but he doesn't like the aquascaping? dunno.gif

Plus it's been photoshopped anyway you can tell by looking at the coraline on the starboard.

Also, the tank looks like a laboratory experiment.

However, on the plus side, it is very clean, which is why he designed it that way, and the corals appear very healthy so there is a certain pleasure in looking at it just to enjoy the healthy livestock. I understand the lack of colour is because he mainly keeps species which are brown naturally.

Also interesting that there is a zillion post thread about this tank on RC, in fact the thread is so big that it has been split into several smaller threads to avoid the drain on bandwidth when people open it.

Also, Layton has learned everything he knows from this tank.

I have seen some very nice BB tanks, but I personally think the aquascaping in that one looks terrible. :D

To me it seems more like a piece of minimalist modern art in its styling, which would explain the polarity of opinions.

Although one thing I do like about it, due to its' thinness you get an idea of looking at the corals "through a bubble' type effect. Which I think would be perfect for a public aquarium etc, as it is nicely spaced and open, just not something I'd be looking for in my personal aquarium.

I'll admit after hearing so much about bomber or bommer or whichever one it is I am genuinely surprised his tank recieves so much attention.

The interesting thing is how differing opinions are - some place it in the top 5, and others think its "yuk"; two very different interpretations of the same image - and I believe that's what good art's all about.

Then again, I only got a C+ in philosophy 109, so I might be talkin' smack . :lol:

I place it as YUK I think the idea of having a tank is to have a natural look.

I think it depends on the shape of your tank, cracker has got a perfect balance his photos don't do it justice.

He has sand and just a nice amount of rock and very healthy corals.

Layton if you are looking to improve your colour look at what cracker and Alois do they both have great colour.

Also, the tank looks like a laboratory experiment.

:lol: so true.

YUCK!

but going back to the thread topic, i dont think there is ever a stage where you have too much live rock. i think the issue is the way it is layed out. if you can stack it and still have flow through live rock, then it stops crap from settling in it. i reckon if its too heavily stacked, you end up getting a detritus buildup smothering the bacteria needed for biological filtration. im basing this on my own experience (which perhaps doesnt count for much) so am looking at removing alot of rock out of my tank and having it lower and more spread out. everytime i blast the rocks with a stream so much crap comes out. yet on the other side of my tank where the LR is not piled on top of each other, there is plenty of coralline and no crap in the rocks at all.

:bounce: :bounce:

I'm shifting next year, and get to setup a new tank, in a wall in the living room, bigger, etc. 2.3 x 900 x 650 - flash type of glass front (starfire?)

and a dedicated fishroom.

Told the missus, has to be included in the cost of the shift :lol:

I'm shifting next year, and get to setup a new tank, in a wall in the living room, bigger, etc. 2.3 x 900 x 650 - flash type of glass front (starfire?)

and a dedicated fishroom

same, i'll be similar, not as long, probably 1.8 or 2m but 1m width and 650 height. is that the scratch proof type of glass? something i'll be definately adding into the cost. puttputt - start a new thread when you want to start on the tank design, as i'll be throwing some ideas around too.