Bubbles!!!

pixiejanet

Hi Janet,.. (PJ.. Pixie).. Pajama Girl :)

Bubble walls are another one of those "gimmiky gadgets" that were designed for a slight visual appeal.. but have no "real" purpose in a Fresh Water tank.. but many Marine keepers use them as a means of circulationg water.

Many gadgets and additions fall into this group.

Possibly the neighbour was glad to get rid of it.. as they normaly require a decent pump to force the bubbles over the full length.. plus can be quite noisy.

Also.. depending on force and bubble size.. they can be stressful for some fish having to swim against a constant current.. and some fish can be adversely affected by a fine bubble stream.

They "may" also affect plant growth in some instances.

HTH :)

think i`ll leave bubbles in me goldfish tank

Might also be the time to point out that Goldies feed a lot off the surface.. and many can get bloated through the intake of air bubbles.. especially at the surface.

Many pellet foods can also cause bloat.. as they are hurriedly swallowed and don't have time to break down before they get into the gut.. where they swell up.

Many are under the impression that the air stone adds oxygen to the water.. but in fact it adds very little.. but what it does is that it "disturbs" the surface where it can draw disolved oxygen below the surface.

Bit more tech than this.. but this is the easy explanation he he.

BTW: You time is showing fine here.. did you get it sorted at your end..?

It`s almost bedtime for me.!! Poor Louis&Lestat :( I will turn off fishy bubbles this instant, didn`t know they got bloated, i`ve had them ten years, don`t want to lose them. Will feed them fish flakes only, and the odd livebait from time to time!!

Thanks Bill.. the sleepy pj pixie x

Hey there..

You say:

I will turn off fishy bubbles this instant,

DON'T do that...

You were talking of extreme aeration.. not a simple air stone.. so if you have a slightly heavy fish load, you will "need" some form of aeration... and to turn it off could cause major probs.

Again with the pellets..

Will feed them fish flakes only,

Pellets are fine in many cases.. but some are heavy in fibre and starch.

Feed a "variety" of foods if you can.. and if in doubt.. water log the pellets slightly so that they will sink.

Hope you get this "before" you doze off.

Oops! Not to worry, they`ve got used to my ways bless `em. :roll:

Rescued them from a bowl of black water many years ago, put them straight in a small tank, nothing in it, just cold water, changed water every four days, when i moved to present address i was given 2` tank and a fluval filter, wahey!! happy fish, only got turfed out every six months. Now they have groovy gravel, bubble wall, holographic blue backdrop and decor is a bottle that looks like a royal sceptre complete with crown top, looks ace. will take advice on soaking pellets. :)

Louis&Lestat are large fish about 8" long and 2" deep so they are always hungry.

when i moved to present address i was given 2` tank and a fluval filter

Louis&Lestat are large fish about 8" long and 2" deep so they are always hungry.

Wow.. If you have two fish that size in a two footer.. then you "definitely" need the aeration.. and regular water changes :)

Bill.

Hahaha! I didn`t realise they were that large until i had to move the tank which meant fishin` `em out. Had to use a pond net, they were too big for any net at home. :bounce:

That`s why i got a bigger tank, but tropical looked interesting, and i thought i`d do ok as Louis&Lestat are healthy and happy. So still looking for bigger tank for them.. :-?

Then i need to decide what to do with the two foot, a hospital tank? A guppy tank? Do i need three tanks in a two bed terrace? Will i build a fishroom on my patio? Am i becoming obsessed? :o:o:o

Bill, I'm a bit confused...now there's a surprise :o :-? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whether it is an airstone, bubble wall, whatever, if it causes more surface movement doesn't it mean more oxygen?????

I've always had something in my 10 gallon with my goldfish. Now, recently I did use a bubble wall, but holy cow :o:o it didn't take much to realize that it was just too, too much, so I cut the bubble wand to make it smaller.

The other 2 tanks (29 gallon) have an airstone in them. But how can you tell if it is too much, I mean the larger bubble wall in the 10 gallon was really obvious.

The tank with my barbs & red eye tetras, I thought perhaps that it was too much with the airstone because the fishies were staying more in one end of tank (posted that question in another thread).

I've obviously had my hands in the tank & I can't tell if there too much...ah...movement (if you know what I'm trying to say, but then my hands are bigger than the fishies :o :lol: )?

The barb tank also has a bigger filter than the other 29 gallon so maybe I don't need an airstone at all, other than to give a different look so to speak, what do you think?

Hi Caper,

You ask:

Bill, I'm a bit confused...now there's a surprise

Whether it is an airstone, bubble wall, whatever, if it causes more surface movement doesn't it mean more oxygen?????

Yup.. it is a bit confusing.. but this is how I have always thought of it.. and I "may" be wrong.. so others may have opinions.

The bubbles as they leave the airstone.. or airwall.. are enclosed spheres.. no matter what the size.

During their travel to the surface, the liquid they are in.. (water).. can only absorb a certain small amount of air from the enclosed spheres.. (the bubbles).. but once these bubbles break as they reach the surfave.. they disturb the surface of the water.. and in doing so the movement allows (mostly surface air).. to be dragged into the water.

This is then called "Disolved Air".. as it is now free to mix with the water.

Have you ever notice fish rising from the sea or a lake on a rainy day..?

The surface is being disturbed.. so the oxygen content is higher. :)

More air will of course cause more surface disturbance.. so should in effect allow more disolved air to enter the water.

But.. the consideration of the fish should be considered.. as many don't like strong currents over extended periods.

HTH :)

Well, yes it helps...BUT...how do you know if it is too much????

Well.. the first thing is to know your fish.. and it habits and where it originated from.

The shape of a fish will tell you a great deal.

Thin slim fish tend to occupy waters that flow a little faster than the plump fat bellied species.

Take your barbs for example.. slim.. deep bodied.. designed for quick movement through water.. rather like cutting through it.. but then look at a Betta with its long flowing fins and plump body.

This on the other hand likes the bodies of water with hardly any movement.

Many loaches have sucker mouths.

This allows them to cling to rocks and such in fast flowing streams.. but also is an aid for feeding.

Marine fish generally come from areas with high water movement and currents.. but the same basics apply.. as many will occupy areas with less flow.. in rock outcrops or sheltered areas.

Most fish like a bit of flow.. but going overboard will soon tire the fish out and lower its reserves if it has to constantly fight its way in a strong current.

Watch your fish.

If they tend to hang around the areas with less flow.. like behind rocks and plants.. then you may have too much flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Pixiejanet...a 4' tank...that is grrrrreat :o:bow: :bounce: :bounce:

Oh by the way Bill, I removed the airstone from the tank with my barbs & red eyes, the barbs are going down the other end of tank more often now!

Oh by the way Bill, I removed the airstone from the tank with my barbs & red eyes, the barbs are going down the other end of tank more often now

As mentioned earlier.. be careful if you turn the air off.. as your fish load may need the extra air supply.

You must be able to control the flow.. rather than stopping it completely.

Bill.

I think their ok, the filter is bigger on this tank than my other 29 gallon. It has the...ah...thing-a-ma-jig...to control the flow. But I don't know if I shoud touch that or not. The only thing I've noticed different since I took the airstone out is that they are going down the other end more, so I'm thinking it was a tad too much movement, do you think?

I know if the fishies are gasping at the top, it's a sign they're not getting enough oxygen, but what if they just hang around up there? Does it mean the same?

I know if the fishies are gasping at the top, it's a sign they're not getting enough oxygen, but what if they just hang around up there? Does it mean the same?

Again.. the same situation applies.. like the slim and bulky fish..

Many fish prefer the surface.. and usually the mouth gives the clue which area they like.

Mollies and such have an upturned mouth and might spend a fair time on the surface.. but will also frequent other areas.. and many catfish prefer the bottom of the tank.. and others like the mid ranges.

Thing here is that if a fish is "normally" a lower region fish, and you see it constantly at the surface.. then there may be a prob.

as you say.. fish that are obviously gasping at the surface are a sure sign there is trouble somewhere.

Observation is the thing.. not just watching

If your fish look relaxed.. then chances are you will be :)

Bill.