Eric Bornemans tank crash

TM

Very interesting.

I guess though he is stressed out & trying to protect his reputation.

To claim he did nothing wrong, but instead somebody broke into his house, did a waterchange on his tank, then refills it with fresh water, would seem to be pushing the boundaries of probability.

If someone wanted to destroy his tank, tipping a bit of bleach in would be a whole lot less work.

If you want to read the original thread it's here:

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic32610-9-1.aspx

I remember reading this last week, and not knowing what to make of it. There was something about it which I though was suspicious.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but i just thought it was overly dramatic to the point of attention seeking. I could be wrong, but that's the first impression I had.

But I don't know what happened, Eric and the person who sabotaged his tank, (if in fact it was actually sabotaged) are the only ones who know what happened.

Layton

Sounds like human error or equipment failure to me. Serious, no one is going to come and pour fresh water in your tank. I am with Wasp, it would be bleach, a hammer or Godfather style, a horses head ( just a joke, don't want to offend all those horse people).

He probably did a water change and forgot to put the salt in the mix. Didn't Alois just about turn his reef into a freshwater tank?

Hey Cracker, would your system not be prone to this if that plumbing fitting fails?

Quote from Erics tread

Well, sadly, I think the mystery has been solved.

Brandee was walking the dogs today and recalled that we had some water coming out of a french drain that runs the length beside the property next to the sump room and dumps next to our driveway. This happens often...if we sprinkle, my neighbor sprinkles, it rains, etc. Well, today while walking the dog she noticed that there were white streaks at the drain since its been dry. I immediately thought...salt deposits. Upon arriving home, I sampled it, tasted it, and its salt. The police are on their way out now.

Thanks for the link lduncan will read it when I get time

Yes Alois has done top ups and forgotten about it wouldn't happen with mine I carry water to the sump manual effort sometimes pays.

If he went to work and forgot to turn off top up, or it equipment failure why not just say so. I don’t think any one could forget to add the salt if you are that bad you need to be committed.

I dont think human error was the problem, from what he says even if he had left his topup running or it had jammed on etc it couldn't have produced anywhere near enough water to do what happened.

Eric is pretty high profile, I can't help wondering if it was misguided eco terriosts? There are some crazy yanks out there

In my opinion I would be suprised if this was just a cover-up of a personal error, from what I know about Mr Bourneman (anecdotaly of course, having never had the pleasure of meeting the man) and whilst I admit the circumstances surrounding it do make it sound unlikely that foul play was involved after reading the entire thread Eric just seems at a complete loss as to what has caused it.

His original posting is a little accusing and reads like he is pulling out of the hobby almost in retalliation but let's be honest, who amongst us would not be filled with rage and depression if this happened to our labour of love. Those of us who have gone through the experience of nurturing a marine environment all understand how it wrenches your heart just to lose a prize specimen, let alone a whole tank.

After reading the entire thread though I think it's fairly clear that he only implies foul play at the complete lack of any other explanation. Most of the questions being raised here have also been covered within the marine depot thread and he has answered these questions with clarity explaining why he believes it not to be the cause.

Personally I feel for him and although I do not know him directly his reputation and love for the hobby speaks for itself, I would certainly atthe very least give him the benefit of the doubt as I have no reason not to believe him.

My 2c on the subject.

Cheers,

Steve

Well I have got up to page 4 and it breaks my heart to see what he wrote on page 4 and we are putting up what may have caused it, it doesn't matter the fact is he has lost his labour of love like losing your on child it can never be replaced the years of caring and watching it grow my heart breaks for him :(

I am typing from my room at IMAC. It is 4am and I cannot sleep for the things i have learned and heard in the past hours. I am grateful to all of you for your many well wishes and offer, the countless pm's and emails. I thank you all for your sympathy. But, I really must close this thread and in fact, close this chapter of my life.

I wonder what he heard/learned that made him sleepless?

As for him forgetting to add water during his last or last few water changes, he apparently does not do water changes on that tank so that theory does not "hold water". (sorry for the pun)

Also, that part of Texas is hard clay. If it had not rained in a week, which apparently it had not, any water that suddenly ran onto the lawn would run right off it and into the gutter/french drains. It definitely would not soak into the grass enough to kill it or even turn it slightly brown.

Baffling. I am dying to find out what happened.