what to use for a bulkhead

Tony.Bates

just making a shopping list for plubming supplies (need to get some so I can plan how big the holes in my tank should be)

What are you folks using for bulkheads in your tanks? I'm thinking that the hansen SFTFT fitting might be the go?

http://www.hansenproducts.co.nz/product ... /SFTFT.htm

(This is for a 400-500l marine tank using 10mm glass)

Chimera - I think this is what you are using correct?

These are what I use, and from other tanks I have seen are pretty commonly used by others. There has been a bit of discussion on how to install them, I removed the rubber seal from mine and used a bead of silicon on the inside of each side, as the fitting is tightened up the silicon spreads out and makes a really solid seal. Others do the same but leave the rubber in and silicon all 4 contact surfaces. Either way is fine really.

Because you are using these fittings I assume your going to use pressure plumbing, which is a good move. Be careful which taps you use, the best seem to be the black ones with blue handles, sorry I have no idea what the brand is but they aren't hansen. Other cheaper taps can jam, usually off, I have a white one with red handle that you commonly see in shops and it is a pain in the @#$. You can get all these bits from Mico, in Wlg atleast they are by far the best.

I've unashamadely stolen Chimera's tank design - an Oceans motion 4 way wave maker with 2 outflows into a single pipe into the OM, then one under coral return, and 3 returns in the top of the tank.

I've planned a dry chamber in the main body of the tank to run the piping from the cabinet below to the hood level for the retuns. I didnt want the tank to be out from the wall to cater for the return piping, so this seemed like a good solution.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll pull some more plans out of CAD and see if pictures do a better job of explaining!!!

:)

I would also like to have the tank against the wall, but I would to it by having the pipes go through the bottom of the glass, asked about in other thread.

That makes sense so that bottom pipe is a spray bar rather than an intake. What pump are you planing on using?

I dont know about pumps yet - I have done a little research, but have to sit down and figure out how many bends, and how many feet, and do all the sums to figure out how many weeks pay my return and closed loop pumps are going to cost me!!!

I'm not very good with math so keep an eye out for the "idiot trying to figure out his flow rate" post in the near future!! hehe

:D

Yeah, I am in the same boat, I've been scouting around for a bigish pump (enough for three closed loops) that is uber quiet. In the US they rate this pump called ReeFlo Dart. It's way to grunty for my setup, might still be overkill for your tank you should look into it.

Those taps slappers has are the ones. Again strongly suggest you use these and don't try and save a couple of $ here

I use laguna UP7 and Ehiem pumps neither are completely quiet, but IMHO both are pretty good. Quiet pumps depend as much on how well you can mount them as much as anything. Pies has his closed loops timed to not be running during the hours in the evening he is sitting in the room with his tank.

I'm not very good with math so keep an eye out for the "idiot trying to figure out his flow rate" post in the near future!! hehe

This stuff is easy to figure out. You just don't bother and buy monster pumps, 500-1000lph here or there makes very little difference. The way I have done it is to say I want about 20 times turn over in the tank, tanks about 1000l, return pump (UP7) rated at 7000lph or something, say 6000lph allowing for headloss etc, so want another 14000lph out of loops, power heads etc.