Brackish to Marine

Aquatopia

Hi all,

Having just watched another great episode of "Equator" on Animal Planet channel, I am keen to consider further the notion of acclimatising brackish fish to a marine environment.

In this episode it detailed an area of reef called "Raja Amphad" (excuse the spelling Im writing that phonetically) which is close to the equator. Part of it showed an area where true marine fish such as the clownfish and cardinal fish lived alongside more brackish fish like the archer fish; where mangroves grew alongside corals. Truly interesting stuff and it begs the question "Could you easily and safely acclimatise a brackish fish from a LFS to a marine environment"?

I have heard of black mollies being successfully acclimatised, and being a fan of black fish (and cheap fish), I have to admit to the appeal of a "harem" of say black sailfin mollies, for example. I also like the look of the archer fish, and again this is readily available (though not so cheap).

Has anyone tried this, or got any input to the notion ?

black mollies look much better in saltwater too. stronger colours.

but one could keep them in fresh or brackish a lot cheaper and as there are so many great looking marine fish why would you?

a. price

b. i like mollies

c. i like black fish

d. i have (am setting up) a marine tank

:):):)

Acclimatising mollies is not a problem, your big problem will be having more aggressive fish with them as they are not.

Here's an idea

Black mollies and Blue Chromas in decent numbers now that would look great.

Although Red & Black would be better.