Battle of the Corals!

chimera

Here's an interesting subject, post up "corals wars!" In other words, if you have seen two corals growing next to each other and touching (or nearly touching), who wins? :D (or maybe it's a draw?) This might also help those who are looking to position their new corals (or where not to place them!!!) My (small) findings so far:

Green star polyps vs Euphyillia (hammer) = GSP wins

Monti Capricornis (brown) vs Monti Digitata = Cap wins

Euphyillia (frogspawn) vs Blue tipped Staghorn = Frogspawn wins

Blue tipped Staghorn vs Pink millepora = Stag wins

Galaxia vs. Acropora & Montipora & Mushroom - Galaxia Win!

Frogspwan vs. Acropora & Montipora - Frogspawn Win!

Mushrooms vs. Acropora and Montipora - Mushrooms Win!

Hynophora vs. Acropora - Hynophora Wins!

Hynophora vs. Montipora Digitata - Montipora Digitata Wins!

Euphillia vs. all - Euphillia Wins!

Pie vs. Aipstasia - Aipstasia Wins!

Pie

In the past I had a period when periodically I would find bald patches on some corals in the mornings. It varied from coral to coral and from location to location.

It turned out the problem was a Merulina and a Porites slugging it out, as after I seperated them, the problem stopped. Neither of the two combatants were suffering at all except for the immediate area of contact and it was not at all clear which one was winning.

I am beginning to suspect that the occasional, what I have assumed to be bite marks from fish, patch I notice these days may be the same thing recurring. This time i am suspecting a Merulina and an Acro but note the common factor.

Steve

well if anyone is driving or flying down to wellies, more than welcome to come pick up some frags and drop them off :D i was throwing frags of green star polyps and montipora off my deck last night. i also broke off and put a decent size cap of monti in my fuge coz it was blocking light to many other frags (not to mention reducing flow!)