Water temprature

LionOfZion

I was talking to my father last night who lives in Whitianga ( up the coromandel) and he said the lcoal water temprature was 23 degrees. Which I think is fairly warm for the ocean (particularily warmer than wellington's water)

But this got me wondering about the temprature for native NZ tanks (yeah still working on my one slowly, nothing in it yet). If the water temprature gets that warm in the ocean then in the house it would be a similiar temprature. I do realise about temprature drops with thermaclines in the ocean, but does any one reacon NZ natives could handle room temprature water all year around ?

LionOfZion - nope. The water will break 22degrees in certain parts of the country for a short period of time in the height of summer, but spends most of its time sub-tropical (16 degrees or less).

The long term prospect of these animals surviving these tempratures all year around are small, to nil. Lots of tangs and tropical species come down in warm water currents and can be observed in NZ for a month or so, but they don't survive the cooler tempratures.

Temprature stability will also be an issue throughout the year.

Pie