What are the smallest Corys or Cats?

Zev

That would suit a beginner in a planted tank, to go with some Glowlight Tetras.

Preferably not plant munchers!!

The tank will be about 60litres 600 x 300 x 350mm, and I want to keep things (ie fish and plants) in proportion.

To answer your question "what is the smallest cory or cat?" as far as I know the smallest cory available in NZ would be Corydoras pygmaeus. they are a neat lil fish! They were the first catfish I ever spawned.

A group of them would defiantly suit a tank that size and they are more of a mid-water swimmer so they are almost always active.

Another catfish that is avalible in NZ is the Moth Ctafish (Hara sp.). Not too sure on exact species. I haven't kept them but they are a neat lil fish.

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Are Bristle Noses hardy enough to help cycle a tank?

I would really like some otos, but from what I've read, they might be a bit fragile (and expensive) to chuck in before the it has cycled.

Depends where you get your BN ancistrus from but probably not really hardy enough. They will eventually get to around 15 - 20 cm if well looked after unlike most plecostomus spp who grow large. They don't have scales and tend to suffer from whitespot if the stress comes on. If your buying them from the petshop definitely not as they will already be stressed. Why don't you use platties or guppies or swordtails or something. Do you have a water test kit?

Yep, have a test kit, does pH, High pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia. Had to stash it up high in the cupboard since it's got lots of corrosive nastys for my four year old to get into.

I only have a 60 x 30 x30 tank with heaps of plants, I want to put a wee bunch of Glowlight tetras, a few otos and maybe a pair of Dwarf Gourami when the water is right.

I was trying to avoid putting fish in that I don't particularly want and will have to get rid of them later.