Trying a new skimmer

jetskisteve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am not going to post the price as the thread is not about selling them just the run down on how they perform.

the aquabee pump used is EXACTLY the same, and the needle wheel!

Hi Steve - what would you consider the Deltec equivalent skimmer to this one? Is the pump on this lower price similar model EXACTLY the same ? There are claims that Deltec 'modify' their pumps. If that is true, have these pumps been modified in the same way as the Deltecs?

Do Deltec actually explain HOW they modify their pumps ? Or is it just another 'manufacturers claim' to make their product sound better ?

Certainly any Deltec I have seen working has worked phenominally well and if money were no object for me i would have no qualms in buying one (had an AP850 in the past but never got to the stage of using it as i moved !), but I have to admit i am willing to subscribe to a lower cost alternative if the work it did was CLOSE to a more expensive branded one.

My point was that what appear to be subtle details, can have dramatic effects on skimmer efficiency, and that in the process of copying, some of these details may be overlooked, or compromised to make it easier to mass produce.

Layton

Hey Layton, this is a fair comment, but dont the pics of skimmate that Jetskiersteve has put on indicate that in this instance (even if there has been production compromise) the product still works extremely well ? I can't imagine expecting much more out of any other brand. I guess the only way to do it is to compare like with like. Now if the same set up had been reproduced with Deltec's equivalent to this one we may have seen twice as much skimmate or thicker, or whatever - that would be the true measure i suppose.

Its equivelent to the smallest H&S skimmer only with the bigger pump, my guess is a AP600??? The Aquabee pump has the same mods :-)

For me it was keep using a skimmer that was oversized for my tank & retails for around $1900 (HFS) or use this one that is a hell of a lot less :D

Its equivelent to the smallest H&S skimmer only with the bigger pump, my guess is a AP600??? The Aquabee pump has the same mods :-)

For me it was keep using a skimmer that was oversized for my tank & retails for around $1900 (HFS) or use this one that is a hell of a lot less :D

So what model aquabee IS it and what are the mods ???

Right - so if the pumps are pre-modified then why would you not be willing to share the way in which they had been modified ? Its not like you have a patent on it ? Am i missing something or do you have something to gain regarding keeping the modification method secret? I thought i read that you had not written this thread from a retail point of view but one of trying out a skimmer ?