Glass bending

antwan

Hi there,

Dimensions of tank: 90cm long X 45cm high X 40 deep.

I noticed that on my three foot tank that the front pane of glass is bending outwards because of the pressure. There are two top supoports (see picture, coloured grey) and the front glass is obviously pulling against them, but the problem is that they are now only half way along the width of the glass (sorry but it's hard to explain). All i need to know is, is this normal? Or should i empty the tank immediately and ask the lfs to fix it (the tank is only 11months old.

bendingtank.jpg

Im sorry if this is the wrong place for this post but i didn't know where else to put it.

Please help,

Thanks.

Hi Ant,

The pressure is bowing the glass, which is not a good thing. Recommendation is to try and fnd a local tank maker who may or may not be able to add a centre brace while the tank is filled with water. This is as simple as you/him/her cutting a piece of glass with the exact measurements of your two side braces, and siliconing it across the middle gap. With the bowing I would venture to say that the tank will have to be emptied.

Good luck and happy fishing!

Blue

Take it down to about a quarter full.

Plants and fish could stay there then.

Then get a strip of glass 50mm wide, 6mm thich, and 8mm short of the inside measuremnt of your tank long.

Clue this piece to the underside of the top braces and onto the face of the tank, thereby narrowing the top opening by 50mm.

Before lowering the water, check to see if the back is also bowing.

If it is, brace it the same way.

The braces can be held in place by holding lightly with G-cramps or propped of the tank bottom till set.

About three hours would do for this.

Leave for about a week before refilling the tank.

Alan 104