discus tanks

evilknieval69

hey i have just been looking at a post which discusguru started about showing your discus pics

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/photo- ... t8161.html

any way, i notice that on pretty much all the photos except a couple planted ones the discus tanks have no substrate or plants or anything. i have also seen other discus pics with boring tanks.

My question is why do you keep them in bare tanks with no substrate?

is it because they eat the stones and it can hurt them like axolotyls or what. just thought i would ask

:D :lol: :o:bow::hail: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

50% water changes a day, cleanliness, they do do that for maximum output from the breeders.

They don't need lights either.

I visited an asian gentlman up Glendowie way somewheres and he gave us a torch to look at the discus he was breeding.

A double garage under his house was his fishroom, all tanks were spotless.

Alan 104

I have a couple of barebottom discus tanks, well one has a thin layer of sand and some plants as the discus in there are adult and they look better on display with some character to the tank. You're right, barebottom is boring but if you want your discus to grow 5x faster and produce show quality, you do daily water changes (takes me 30-45mins for both tanks per day). It's mainly so you can see all the waste on the bottom clearly, this way it keeps the water quality at a premium. Diseases/bacteria can accumulate in substrate/gravel and cannot all be removed even when doing huge water changes and plumbing it with your standard siphon.

Once full grown then they look best in a fully planted tank which is the 5 adults i have in with the sand. The young red melons get 70% water changes daily and auto feeder timed to feed them 6x day.

Yes BB tanks are mainly for growing the discus and keeping the water quality at its premium by doing massive water changes. Onces they reaches adults you can put them into your planted show tank. Imagine trying to syphon the gravel on 50 odd tanks daily . lol

Hey Luke, how's the melon doing?

Cheers,

Ron

mine are in a bare bottom because its just too darn hard to keep their water pristine with substrate. i do 50% daily water changes also, it is a much harder task to keep these compared to my others- with them its a 30-40% change a week. mine are getting fed 4 times a day, theyre approx 4-5cm