what to breed?

sharn

hello all

ive finally decided that i want to start breeding fish to try and get some money back from all my setups (or more like ive been told lol). i have a spare 4x2x2 out in the garage that i will use, and a spare 2 foot if i need that also.

now my question is- what is there a good market for? my LFS told me blue and gold rams and the dwarf cichlids. i would like to breed a cichlid of some sort as i like the way they look after their young, which would probably be best for me- id probably kill fry :roll:

id love to breed discus- something like blue diamond etc, our water is apparently not that great though, especially after heavy rain :evil: my tanks have 6.5-7 ph. not too sure on the hardness though.

i was wanting to get into breeding Parachromis motaguense also known as Cichlasoma motaguense or Cichlasoma (Nandopsis) motaguense, but have been told they are super rare, so probably not much luck there :(

any other ideas? thanks heaps guys!

im in te puke (tauranga) so we dont have much large scale breeders around here. you know me mystic! i sold you the lil apisto lol.

i just wanted to get into breeding as i would make some money off the things i love so much! (it would also give me a excuse to get more fishies and tanks! :P) id love to watch the parents looks after their babies, i watched a angel pair do their bits and pieces in a shop tank once for around an hour- that shop assistant thought i was majorly wierd!

in my setups already i have oscars, plecos, sevs, angels, tetras, cories. i just gave away my boesmanis (*tear*) and my swords but do have 12 babies growing up now.

id love to breed some of the big boys like GT's, jags etc, but i havent seen much market as people people prefer the mixed, peaceful tanks. i might look into the rams, eventually i want to breed discus but i just dont feel i know enough about them yet- maybe in a year or two.

alan what do you mean by 'profile field'? thanks heaps guys for your answers :hail:

If you go to your profile

You will see a box to put where you are from.

I'm only 40 minutes from you, and I breed one or two fish.

But I have learnt something over the years, that is that if you expect to make heaps of money from breeding fish, you are going to be sadly disillusioned.

Unless of course you have a thrmal heat source for the Fish room.

Highway Fisheries just north of Te Puke, has this, but they have a bore that costs quite a bit to bring the water to the surface..

Aquascope in Welcome Bay also has hot water, and there used to be a fishbreeding farm at just above sea-level in Welcome Bay too, but in a deluge they were wiped out by a silting of over a metre deep.

They were also an excellent source for various plants.

Alan 104

oh im not wanting to make heaps! even if it was only $20 a month it would still be 20 less that id have to spend, i enjoy the challenge of new fish so itd be great fun to start up new tanks and learn new stuff, not to mention watching some teeny little wrigglers grow up if i was successful!

never heard of aquascape actually, only animates, animal antics and living waters, plus the odd small pet shop. ive seen the fish place between katikati and tauranga (i think its around there), just never called in, might do so on our way up to auckland soon.

thanks for your replies alan :)

Hi there, sorry for being off-topic but, Alan does Aquascope sell fish as well as tanks?? Thanks.

And to Sharn. If u want to make some moola get a large breeding pair of bristlenoses, thats what i have and make about $120 a month off selling the babies for $1 each. But if you do, please dont sell them to ur lfs cos then they onsell them for bout $10 each...for a 2cm bristlenose its INSANE!

anyways thats just my thoughts...take care

Anthony.

Hi Ant,

Aquascope is definately a breeder/importer/wholesaler, as far as I know he sells only to shops and no visits allowed.

Unless of course you are a friend of theirs.

Concerning selling to LFS.

Find out what the wholesalers charge them for that size B/N and charge them that.

That way the LFS saves on GST, transport, have fish locally bred, and don't have to buy heaps at a time.

I look at the price of the fish that they are selling, and ask for approx. half.

Or suggest to them that you will only sell to them at a set price,

as long as they don't charge more than 120% profit.

This is what Jansens add on so I'm told.

Our last killies cost us $17+GST+Transport.

Our required asking price from the LFS is normally $8.50 to $10, depends on species and availability.

But our club members come first.

Normally quite a bit less than the price asked of the LFS.

Non club members cop the LFS price.

Alan 104

Thanks for that Alan. That's a real shame that i cant go and have a look at Aquascopes fish. I have bought a couple of tanks from there - very nicely done. I didnt know Tauranga had a local club (or is that killies only). Would possibly be keen.

Living Waters promised me about $2.50 each for my babies, but when i went there with them all bagged up they gave me only $1 each. Theyre now in ther selling for bout $10!!! so hows that they r going to make 1000% profit. So i told myself i would never sell to fish shops again. When for the same price i can sell to other people and give them a bargain.

I didn't say there ws a club at T.

But they were trying to start one up a while back.

I remember a lovely couple from Taupo that was promised a set price for their fish at a shop in Auck.

It was dishonoured, and the breeder invited the shop keeper outside where he tipped the fish down a drain.

Hard on the fish, but a broken breeder who went home and closed down their fish room.

It was such a shame, they were a lovely older couple, who had ideal water conditions with thermal heating which is everyones dream if you have a fishroom, and they could really breed fish.

Good ones too.

Alan 104

hmmm thats wierd, living waters is normally quite good, but since they changed owners im not too sure- hanz (sp?) used to own it, but sold it due to having ill health, they also own the pick a pet in papamoa but are trying to sell that also as the fish water is just no good for him.

might have a look at animal antics (personally i dont like them, the lady in charge of the fish asked me how much litres a oscar needs!!?? fair enough, they have alot of fish but if you are to properly care for one (i had to give my white tiger to them) youd want to at least know tank requirments!!) ill talk to them and living waters since theyre the biggest around here.

i heard about the club, was meaning to ring them but never got around to it. i wish i could go have a look at aquascopes tanks and fish! thanks guys :)

hey sharn.i reckon you should do something that will look after its young well because its alot easier lol.something like bristlenoses would be cool i reckon.i dont really know much about cichlids so i dont know what to suggest. that oscar that you gave to animal antics they have for sale for 50 buks!!!!!they scored it for free and are gunna gain 50 buks off it. how much percentage increase is that antwan lol :D:D :lol: :lol: :bounce: anyway.whatever you breed will be fun and a good experience!!!

**EVILKNIEVAL**

Even if a LFS takes something for free they still have to feed it and home it (power, water, etc) until it's sold, so depending on how long it takes to get rehomed, they could make a profit or even a loss doing you the favour.

Heya sharn, met you on my Blind Cave Tetra setup auction. Breeding anything can be a bit of a gamble with fluctuating prices and the fact that you can lose a tank of fry at any time. Heck, I had a school of cardinal tetras wipe out a whole brood of Blue Rams one time, and most catfish will munch down on a clutch of eggs if given half a chance.

So can you actually MAKE money breeding fish? I believe the goal should be to simply pay for the habit and if you make something extra it's a bonus.

My recommendations for WHAT to breed would be a cichlid species. Anything from dwarves to discus, they all can be excellent parents and all take care of the eggs and young to a certain degree.

Good luck with your endeavours and let us know how u go!

hey sharn i havnt actually fully read each persons reply so sum1 might have sed this but...

You should breed those apistogramma (sp?) things like the one you sold o mystic on trademe. i reckon you could get a bit from them because i have never seen one being sold in any of the fish stores i use. they are really cool little fish me thinks!!!!!! :D :bounce: :bounce:

was thinking of getting back into breeding apistos, i want triple reds or orange flashes but have heard too much about inbereding so not sure how good the stock would be.

they are great little fish, heaps of character, i reckun if my one couldnt fit in my Os mouth she woulda beat the crap outa him lol.

its going to either be discus (unlikely), rams or apistos. im straying away from anything other than cichlids for the mere fact i dont think i can keep fry alive by myself.

my white tiger would have been there around 6 months i guess now, people just wont pay 50 for a oscar these days. being there has made her super agressive too, went up to the glass and i had a 30cm fish charge me! having said that i dont like animal antics- i probably know more about fish that the lady there! the only place i will go to is living waters or pick a pet, the people that own those shops are good, genuine people who know their fare share about fish.

ive thought about breeding before but never really got into it. being 16 and having spent all my wages from the last 2 years on fish i would like to try making a bit back- even if its going to be used to better their enviroment anyway. plus who can resist baby fish!!

there were some new bloods of orange flash that was impoted just a month ago. So try get some of those and you should be sweet and don't need to worry about inbreeding.

Also try getting some gold rams, i really like them and they should sell really well. Just a thought

who would i have to contact to get these little cuties? you reckon theres much of a market for them?

will have a look into the gold rams, havent seen any down here so far but i doubt it will be much or a problem getting some.

thanks rcon021 :hail:

yea sharn i know what you mean about that oscar. everytime i go into AA i put my face close to the glass and he swims at me and rams the glass. he has a big as lump on his lip from doing it to. i would never pay 50 buks for an oscar that size. i would rather buy 1 of the 1 inch bubbas tthey have in there for 20 buks. the fish lady at animal a duznt know alot but the guy(think hisname is dan) knows alot about fish. hes hu i always talk 2 :D