Merry-go-round Angels

Angel 2

I have two large marble angels in a 55 gal tank that are both going round and round up and down, is this an swim bladder problem or what. It started out with the smallest which is about seven inches top to bottom, a couple of days later the larger one which is about nine inches is doing it now. The tank vitials are PH 7.4, temp 78F, ammo O, nitrite 0, nitrate2. It is a planted tank with gravel , no co2, and two other smaller angels I just added 4 days ago. Can you help me with this ? Thanks.

Hi Angel,

Does sound a bit like swim bladder probs, and might be through bacteria if it has affected other fish. Raising the temp 5degF might help, (85 max) or the medication is Quinine Sulfate, but I wouldn't go there.

It could also be Bloat, as Angels tend to bolt their food down. This tends to affect the swim bladder also, like a too full stomach/gut, and undigested food in the intestine, possibly from pellet feeding.

I would raise the temp first, then feed only live foods to act as a laxative for a few days, and in case of bacteria, do some regular water changes.

They could of course also been in a scrap over terrirory or breeding mates, but I think you would have spotted any obvious damage to them.

HTH,

Bill (Pegasus)

Any other med that will help. never hear of that here. I put salt in the tank and raised the temp. but dont know how far yet. Dont feed pellets but give froze dried Blood worms and Tubifex worms along with their flakes. The bbig angel looks like he's worse today. By the the way thanks for the above points.

Sorry to be so late but our times just dont match up. When I come on this forum generally no one else is here so I what until the next night to read the posts. Sorry to say the large angel was dead this am. The small one is acting normal for now. Like Isaid in last post, I added salt and raised the temp to 84F. Will see how thing go tomorrow. Thanks peety andPegasus for the help.

Hi Angel,

Sorry for your loss, it's always hard to diagnose without knowing every detail. Don't know a substitute medication, as I avoid them where possible. The epsom salts mentioned will also help to flush the system of the fish, and you could try a tbl spoon full in a gallon of water as you would for progressive salt treatments. Just watch it carefully, and if distressed, move it out quickly.

The swim bladder can be affected in many ways, like from parasites, hardening of the walls, external pressure from some other cause... so it's really hard to tell.

Hope the other guys pull through.

Well the smallest of the two was looking good yesterday, but it was on the bottom of the tank tonight when I got home. It wasnt moving around and just a little while ago I looked in the tank and it had passed on. Soooo Im back to two angels again. Something some said about the other fish , none of them are acting funny. The two smaller ones where put in the tank after this all started. Thanks for the help.