weird goldfish

Shelley

I dropped my son off at his respite care place today...and they have a small goldfish tank with (too many) largish goldfish in it. But one of these fish is seriously weird. Originally they thought he had swallowed some of the gravel....as he was always very round bellied...now he just looks dreadful (though happy enough) He is around 5 inches long...but it looks like he has a golf ball wedged in his lower belly...he defintiely has a wobbly sort of swim technique. This round tummy looks hard and seriously stretched (like he might pop). I am sure this is the same fish from months ago that was VERY fat...but this growth like thing has grown and now there is more growth than goldfish. Someone has offered to take it away to euthanase it....but it doesn't seem at all stressed...and the owner has said she wants it to die naturally so she can perfom an autopsy on it! :o

Anyway...any clues what it is that might be wrong with this poor fish?

Hi Shelley,

According to your other post in Freshwater... you've got the bug real bad :)

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/fish-s ... t9585.html

Sounds like you had a real fun time.

Goldies of that size are pretty gutsy and will just about shovel the food down if there is any competition in the tank.

I would find out what they are feeding.

Pellet foods tend to be gulped whole.. then they swell up inside the fish.

A change of diet might help.. and some suggest skinned peas as being a good way to ease the bowels of the fish.

It could be bloat... or if a female... it could be full of roe.. or at the worst.. it could be an internal disorder.. like a tumour.. but if the fish is not suffering, and is acting and feeding fine.. then I certaily wouldn't put it down.

What are the conditions... Is it cramped for space.. How big is the tank... Is it well maintained... How often are they fed... ?

Bill.