Golden Rams

Billaney

Quick advice needed :

I've just noticed my golden rams have layed a heap of eggs on a stone i put in for them, there in a tank with justa pair od angels which i've seperated with a devider so there safe from the angels but what about the parents ???

Are Rams good parents should i leave them in there or move the rock with the eggs on it ? , the fry would swimm through the devider so its just a temp to stop the angels eating the eggs , but what should i do ??

all advice greatfully accepted

Some Rams are ok at best as parents, sadly mine were not. Usually I take the eggs away and hatch seperately cos they ate every batch otherwise. If eggs are seperated then the parents will most likely spawn again in 2 or 3 weeks. You might need some more tanks to cope with all the fry???? :-)

thanks for that Winston , i've takes the eggs still on the stone and placed it in a free tanks with air bubbles floating near the stone to give some circulation, fingers crossed , the pair must have also killed the thrid golden ram i had so its all down to these two now :D

But you do have a breeding pair and eggs, so way-ta-go.

The angels would have had to be moved if the babies could get through,

Depending on your divider, I have seen cichlids SUCK babies through a small gap under a solid glass partition.

What temperature were the parants at??

Good luck with your new additions in the future.

Alan 104

I have breed blues befor and had free swimming fry a little under 2 weeks old then they all died. I tryed to keep the water as soft as i could get it (have read that eggs will not hatch if water is too hard) temp about 28 C. and ph of 6.2. I let mum and dad do there job and (almost)couldent fult them. I think the fry died because of me rather than water conditions (over feeding :oops: and lack of water changes). I have also found that there are some fish that are sterile

Hope that helps

Shane

Awesome Billaney :hail::hail::hail:

Last week I cleaned up my Ram tank only to find 1) a batch of eggs being guarded by pair #1, and 2) after I had squeezed the water out of the Killie mop - the newly hatched young from pair #2 (only 3 survived the squeeze).

Surprissingly out of 4 spawnings, this is the first time that I have seen the eggs. The leaf covered in approx 150 orange/brown eggs. Placed in floating container. Approx 50% fungused before hatch. Young that hatched stayed on the bottom for 3 to 4 days with visible yolk sac. After which they started free swimming. Feeding with fresh hatched brine shrimp. Doing well.