Malawi tails

James

my adult female zebras have all gone on a breeding spree and there has been a lot of fighting between my female zebras two nearly died from side wounds plus half their tail's were bitten of so it was only about 2cm long maximum. and the third has had it's tail completely biten off yesterday so it looked like a fleshly stump plus it was floating horizontal so I moved it into the hospital tank where it got attacked from the other zebra that was in a similar state when it moved in there but is healthier. So I put that zebra in my tank with the haps and was fine with them. next there was another zebra in the original tank and as soon as I took the tailless fish out the male and another female started beating up on the last zebra I had to move out so I put that in with the haps also. Now all the fish are fine, but I'm worried about the zebra with a stump as today it's healed up really well and will more than likely survive as she's swimming properly (for a fish with no tail) in the hospital tank, do their tails grow back and swim normal or are they stuffed.

Yes the tails will grow back. May take a while.

Zebras can be real brutes, even the girls. What size tank are they in? are there plenty of rock works, caves....?

Mealifix and salt are good for fixing wounds, as is pimafix for serious wounds.

Re introducing the fish when well is the next problem.

I'd take the dominant male & female out of the tank, rearrange the tank add the ones that have healed. Add the dominant ones after a couple of days. May work.

Frenchy :D

there were all in a 4 foot tank with rocks and caves going almost right across tank. lately I've been feeding the sick fish white bread, could bread be bad for the sick fish in the long run cause I found that the fishes wounds heal almost overnight. Two of the fish looked as if they were about to lose there swimming bladder and were swimming fine the next morning, when I've had other fish in similar situations they always died and I've done nothing different apart from feeding them bread as opposed to spiralina flakes. I'm curious though if bread could have an effect on the malawis like meaty foods do on them?

cleaned the tank and filter yesterday and all the fish are back to normal now. Stopped feeding them bread soon as I discovered it's bad for them so their back on spiralina flakes and pallets. Moved the rocks around and the aggression is gone, however, the fish that caused all the havoc looks as if it's holding. Should I put her in the hospital tank soon or wait a while for the eggs to hatch, cause everytime I seperate the mother early they always seem to loose their eggs after about 4-5 days?