Blue Rams - spawning in Indian Fern ????

kevin_wgtn

Hi Kevin,

Blue Rams don't necessarily spawn in caves. I got a pair a month ago and following this article I put a river stone in a secluded spot and they spawned on Saturday night and layed eggs all over the flat stone, as advised. Either they moved them and I haven't spotted the wrigglers yet or something bad happened as the rock is almost egg-free this morning. I'm thinking that perhaps one of the large bristlenoses came along and "cleaned" the rock :evil: What's your experience with the after spawning and fry care?

Rams spawned in the floating Indian Fern roots. Temp 75'f Ph 6.2. No air on the tank or babies containers.

In all cases (1st pair x 3, 2nd pair x 1) I have not seen the eggs, simply the babies hatching and falling out of the nest before being retrieved by the parents. In each case I have caught the fry out and raised/raising them in clear floating containers in the main tank. Feed Micro worm and brine shrimp for 2 days, thereafter brine shrimp only. Regular water changes with main tank. Babies growing well. Of the main pair - 1st spawning now approx 10 - 15 mm in length (including tail), 2nd spawning approx 7 - 8 mm in length, 3rd spawning hatched yesterday.

Apart from catching the fry, and feeding them I haven't done anything special - the parents did all the hard work in hatching the fry.