Sexing?

clarkeymaster

How can you tell the difference between male and female fighters?

Im asking this as i brought a male :o today at the fish shop but it doesnt have the same body as my other males,its body is more rounder and it has a horizontal line on its body, can someone help me by saying how you can sex fighters.

This is what I was told to look out for in the male....breadth of dorsal fin, squarer corners to the caudal fin, long ventrals (at least 1/2 the body length) and a longer, more tapered body shape & Females tend to have a shorter, chunkier body, shorter ventrals, a smaller and narrower dorsal, a more rounded tail shape, a fuller belly (sometimes with the eggs visible as a pale patch) and an 'egg spot'.

hope that helps :wink:

i moved them in and out of the tank they are in today and my male is normal blue/purpled coloured, while the male/female looking at it was pale with two horizontal stripes down the length of its body. i cant post a pic yet as the ones iv taken are all blurry.i think it could be a female but im not too sure.they look interested in each other but dont look like they flare up at each other.is there anywhere/anyone i could take it to in auckland to find out.