guppy aids & importing of clean guppies

Aftaburn

Seems to be a fitting name for the guppy bug.

I recently bought some which appear to be virus free. From East Road Pets in Invercargill.

I haven't had guppies in 10 years due to the bug.

These are spawning well & appear to be healthy fish which will be available once suitably sized.

I suspect most stock coming into NZ of guppies is either already infected or infected during the importation etc... process.

I'm starting to investigate the possibility of importing some from the USA as I think I've found a breeder with the sort of stock we could do with in NZ.

If this goes ahead I'll be clearing the current stock I have & sterilizing everything before starting with the new strains.

NZ needs a supply of quality guaranteed "virus free bug free guppies".

Has anyone here done anything like this before. I'm just starting out with the import idea & am prepared to go to a fair amount of trouble to make it work.

I thought I had a quarantine facility orgainized but cant get hold of the guy... can anyone help me set this up?

I'd be quite happy to go in with a few others wanting to start fresh with clean fish (can get more true breeding strains going here as a result as I can probably handle 2 max & it'd be nice to be able to access some of the others from time to time).

Anyone interested in helping out or joining in?

I've just started organizing this so as yet am still waiting on a strains list & photos.

I'd like to be able to import say 10 or more different varieties if possible & set them up around NZ so we can keep a supply of quality guppies in NZ.

Perhaps I've posted this in the wrong section but... guppies & bug seem to have become sorta... one.

I'd like to see that change.

• 3 months later...