What size tank for Oscar's

madcookie

I've just bought home my very first Oscar, he is an awesome looking Tiger green colour and aprox 25cm long.

I have him in his own tank, its a 210 lLtr jobbie, measures 120cm x 45cm x 38cm. Is this tank big enough - and could I put a second (same sized) Oscar in with him? Tank currently has a Via-Aqua 750 filter (Cannister has 1200 Ltr/h pump and holds aprox 8ltr's Siporax and sponge medium) and a Magnum Millenium 3000 HOB, also with sponge medium and 1000 Ltr/h. Tank has medium-fine "fruit salad" gravel, a couple of pieces of driftwood and small slate, and no plants. I carry out water changes on all my tanks every week, and clean filters "as required".

I have a few spare filters - should I increase filtration....would the subsequent increase in water current upset Oscar? (Aleady aprox 8 times volumer per hour.)

So, any Oscar experts out there able to offer advice? Is this tank big enough for Oscar....and is it big enough to add a 2nd Oscar? Considering my filtration?

Cheers!

Thanks for that Treehugga.! Have increased tank circ to aprox 10 times, no problems so far.....I was totally amazed at how half the food came straight back out his mouth and gills within 20 seconds of him going CHOMP.....I sure can see why people consider Oscar's to be messy eaters!!!!!!

Guess I am now in the market for a 2nd Oscar......

Your tank is only big enough for one Oscar. Remember that Oscars do grow to quite large sizes. You don't just have to think about polluting the water, you also have to think about how much room they have got to move around them. Oscars sometimes do have a mad five minutes, they can really hurt themselves if they swim against the side of the tank. Confining them in a small tank, could cause some serious problems. I have got two Oscars in a 125 gallon UK tank and they are already starting to look a little too big for it.