Have ya got any of these??

Alan

Ctenopoma acutirostre

Leopard Ctenopoma

Spotted bush fish

Any thing you know about them I'd love you to share on here.

Price, size, sexing, breeding, food. Anything else.

I know, go do some research ya self ya lazy beggar.

I have.

Just wont to know about our local knowledge.

Thanks

Alan 104

Leopard Ctenopoma - animates here in Khandallah in Welly have one of those for sale. Cant remember if it was for $60 or $80 - just know it was more than I was looking to spend at the time! Interesting looking fishie though.

When putting together our first tank last month (now up to 4) I ran across one of these at Hutt Pets for $30 pretty much full grown. I'd just seen juveniles at Animates for $55 so I jumped on it.

He's my favourite fish at the moment. A bit shy (doesn't like eating when he's being watched) and he gets stressed out easily when doing a lot of changes in the tank.

Though he has a massive mouth he doesn't eat any of the smaller fish. Cool thing is, he yawns like Leaf fish so you get to see the way it extends out like an accordion. I'm sure you've googled tham and know as much as I know.

What to say from an owners experience. He likes having a spot to hang out in and prefers low light. I have a blanket of Riccia over quarter of the tank (floating) so he has a shaded place to hang out at. He can swallow half a freeze dried jumbo shrimp (love that idiosyncronym) though he prefers chomping down half a frozen blood worm cube - in one go. I've never seen him eat flakes though he tries just about anything that looks like food. He can change his body colour between almost white - spots come out with more contrast - to a dark chocolate brown. He definitely eye-balls you and isn't afraid of your hand in the tank. He does stress out though and he even did a repetitive swimming pattern for a couple days when I kept messing around with the tank. My bad, it was new and I was over-eager. He's good now though and I plan on making a proper cave for him in time.

Here's a question to anyone that might know. Do both makes and females have the combs on the gills or just males? I'd love to take a picture to describe what I mean, but he's a low light fish and it's just cruel to use a flash on him with those massive eyes. They look like they're made of glass though.

Feel free to ask anything. There's someone else here that has a few.... RnB?

i have a breeding pair of Leopard Ctenopoma in one of my tanks but the babies wont come to anything apart from a good feed to the tiger and lung fish. if you want to breed from them alan im happy to lend you them :D

Sweetheart ! !

Have you actually bred them?

What are the sex differences you can notice on them Kim??

If any.

What size are they.

Before I borrow them, if I did, what value would you put on them?

Just in case. :cry:

Thankyou ormali, and BlueandKim, for your replies.

Alan 104

they are the ones the steve my friend bred but he killed the babies by mistake.

will have a look at them and see if you can sex them, i have never looked before,

whats the difference from them dropping dead at my or your place when they die they die and thats life so i wouldnt want anything for them, in the case of there death haha

Hi Kim, did steve breed them purposely or by accident?

If it was the former, how did he set them up.

Water cons. etc?

What was he feeding them?

What are you feeding them now?

Oh, by the way Kim, you are too kind.

Alan 104

by accident!

he had them in his discus tank so ph would have been 6.5-6.8 temp 28

he feed them colour bits, bloodworms ,and flake.

i feed them flake and bloodworms and sometimes they get live food.

know alan i trust you and i also would love to see these lovely fish breed with,

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how goes it with the breeding of these guys. My "Billy-Bob" got stuck in an ornament and passed a day after being released. I suppose it was internal organ damage, but who knows. He's still in the freezer next to the Hoki fillets if anyone wants to do an autopsy :roll:

So there's a big empty tank now with no billy-bob. Would love to get more of them if there's any bubbas floating about from a successful coupling, so PLEASE let me know, tah!

• 10 months later...

So a year later I now have two of these lovelies. Not sure about the sexing as they look very much alike. One has a much rounder abdomen than the other so here's hoping for the best... currently in a 26 degree tank with soft acidic water. Just introduced last night, they seem a bit wary about each other but haven't tried to kill each other yet!