Need Lighting for that extra large reef tank??

Doc Holiday

They also require special bulbs designed to run vertically as opposed to horizontaly. Master Trade in Tawa has new phillips highbays with 4000k bulbs (400watt) on special last week for $89.00incl.

Pie

interesting reading in Anthony Calfo's & Robert Fenners reef Invertebrates regarding lighting

"more light is not better then less, as has been the trend with the dreadful pupularity of 400 and 1000 watt m/h over shallow aquaria (less then 75cm). the oposite is in fact true! corals that do not receive enough light to reach their compensation point can easily and successfully kept healthy indefinitly if their need for carbon (that which is not sufficiently translocated by the products of adequate photosynthesis) is met by feeding. yes ...to be clear, under-illuminated can be fed to compensate for a lack of light within reasons. however, the opposite is not true. over-illumination cannot compansate for a lack of adequate feeding and some photosynthetic corals can ironically starve to death under a bright lighting scheme. most aquariums are in the 75-200 gallon range. for these tanks, 150-250 watt m/h in the 6500k-10000k will provide excellent light for most reef inverts available in the trade (double-ended HQI lamps have performed admirable here across the board."

:hail: 150 watters here i come (will save me lots of dosh on power too) :D

I've got little bits and pieces of that orange monti all over the place, mainly because I'm clumsy and keep breaking it. Anyhow, the ones with most light are the most bright orange, although my lights are only 150 watt DE 10,000k. The ones kicking around on the bottom tend to be brown(ish).