cycling question

GeeTee

After reading plenty of posts on cycling I thought the easy way to cycle my new tank would be to put my sons old filter cartridge in the tank for a week or two as mentioned in a few posts.

My new filter is a Fluval 204,comes with 3 baskets in it with stuff to put in 2 of them.

Would it be ok to put the wool from the cartridge in the 3rd basket and have the water flow through it that way???

If so top,middle or bottom basket or wouldn't really matter???

Greg

If you could slow it down it would be better, when you put it in make sure the fish in the old tank aren't stressing, will the 204 spray bar fit in the tank? If it was me i would give it 1 week then put it in your new tank with a couple of smallish fish for another week then slowly build up the stocking levels.

Good luck Greg

Shane

It does have a lever that closes both water lines for maintanence,Idid try that to see if it slowed the flow,which it did.I don't know if it is meant for that aswell as closing the lines.

I'll work it out.

Greg

Yeah you can slow the fluvals down by doing this with no problems, however I would just try directing the output from the pump into a corner or one side. The output flow isn't that strong and remember most fish come from streams or lakes that have far more water flow than a pump would ever mkae.