New to this board

steveweast

Livestock is held a 'private/commercial' facilities, often back garage type facilities. Not big, not flash, probalby cater to 20-30 boxes of live goods.

From the private facilities the fish are then sold on to the pet stores. Some of the importers (Aqanet) will sell directly to locations without pet-store support (like here in Wellington, where their are no stores supporting the marine hobby) and assuming the volume is worth-while (typically 1+ full boxes).

Drygoods are here, and easily available, often with a wait though not a great amount of stock held on big ticket items.

One thing about price in NZ is the NZ dollar. Our dollar is fairly week in the grand scheme of things, and is about as high as its ever been right now. If you in NZ and spending US/UK currancy its a pretty attractive place to be.

MAF has restrictions on importation here in NZ, and many animals are banned like Lionfish etc. Basically we have 'a list' and if its not on the list, its not allowed in. In my opnion though, its not a big problem for us.

A few people here have commented on no 'stunning/rare' items being allowed in. No doubt that Hawaii (US dollar) and carabian (US dollar) cost a lot more than indo/pacific stuff. However for me, I can't think of little thats not available here, you may just have to wait for it to turn up. I have looked for all sorts of things, and to be honest have not found anything out-of-reach.

The hobby is growing a little here too. Lots more competetion than ever before, more people importing etc so prices have dropped over the past 12 months. That aside its not a cheap hobby.

Marinedepot.com is a popular place for us to purchase stuff and is often half the price or better than NZ availability for many items.

The frag market is picking up too, many of us sharing corals to reduce startup prices for new reefkeepers.

I live in Wellington, the NZ capitol city. Population of the region abut 400,000. I know of less than 10 marine tanks here, this will no doubt increase if a pet store starts supporting the hobby though.

Cheers

Pies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys mind if I ask questions?...even though I only have a small freshwater tank.

In Steve's picture...besides the fish...is everything else in the tank "living"? Sorry know nothing but what I see here...and very confusing...but so amazed when I see these tanks!

I asked somewhere here before...what is the difference with saltwater, marine & reef...are they the same?

I know there are freshwater fish and saltwater...do saltwater live in all 3 I've mentioned above?

Pies....that's very interesting. My home town....Portland, Oregon.... is also about 400,000 in population. But, there are 150 in our reef club alone.... and, I guess anther 500 or so that don't belong to the club but who have reef tanks (judging by local fish sales where club members make up maybe 10% of sales)

Baby goni! Congrats.

That is interesting that the numbers are do high our populations are similar. Explains why whenever someone comes to my house they say "ohh my god I have never seen anything like that before in my whole life", because there are none around :)

Reef vs. Saltwater vs. Marine. Saltwater and Marine are interchaneable, they are describing the same thing. A reef is a 'subset' of the marine/saltwater, a reef describing that the tank holds both fish and coral or just coral. Coral have far more demanding requirements than fish as a general rule.

Marine/saltwater tanks are not much more expensive to setup than display quality freshwater tanks. Reef tanks however require a bit more care (money).

Pie

Congratulations Steve :P

Thanks Pie for explaining to me...I love my little aquarium...but when I see tanks like yours & Steve's...they just blow me away!

Of course all the pics I've seen here...salt & fresh...are downright amazing :o

That is interesting that the numbers are do high our populations are similar

i dont think the comparison can be made between towns/cities, its country vs country. US has a huge population vs a mere 4 million down here in NZ :D what counts is imports 'at the gate' + many other variables such as the number of those in the hobby. basic law of economics, supply and demand! coral's arent too badly priced here when you compare them to the states. i think the frag market here is definately on the increase. at least the hobbyist can get a bit of money back themselves once their own corals start to grow!

So...just to make sure I'm understanding...reef has just coral or coral & fish.

You can have a saltwater/marine tank without coral? I saw somewhere on the net some guy had a marine tank with nothing "living" in it but the fish...so this is possible?

I don't mean to interfere here guys...but you guys know so much about this stuff...

So...just to make sure I'm understanding...reef has just coral or coral & fish.

Yes plus various other critters like shrimps, anemones, crabs etc

You can have a saltwater/marine tank without coral?

Yes

Steve

typically:

- if you have coral in your tank, its called a reef tank (hence the coral reefs you see around the tropics, such as hawaii, great barrier etc)

- saltwater/marine means it could be FO (fish only) or FOWLR (fish only with live rock) again, if you have coral, then you'd call it a reef tank.

I really appreciate you all answering my questions...thank you soooo much :bow::bow::bow:

had a marine tank with nothing "living" in it but the fish

so...what the guy on the net said is true then...you can have a marine tank without any other "living" creature (coral, anemones, etc.)...only fish?

Thanks for the patience guys :):)

yes. but it's preferential to have inverts, such as shrimps, crabs etc as they help clean and clean up after the fish :D some fish such as clown fish have a symbiotic relationship with anemones, while they can live in tanks without them, they seem happier with a host anemone.

Thanks Chimera

The clown fish are the "nemos" :lol: right? Yah, I have noticed in the pics, if I've got the right fish...they're hiding in the...ah... the anemones are the long looking tentacles, sorry, don't know what else to call them!

I'd love to have a saltwater someday...but that would be far off in the future!

Thanks again :P

Thanks Steve!

So I've got the right fish...and anemone. :D

I love those fish...and the blue tangs, I think they are so pretty. I've seen so many beautiful fish in your pics here.

Yah...I just do not understand why they won't stay still to get their pics taken...I guess they just don't understand "don't move" :lol:

Wow Nice tank steve,

I have seen your web site once before and was really impressed -seeing those photos only impresses me more :)

I live in Napier and from what I have heard there are about 5 reef keepers in the area, although I would say that there will soon be more as there are 2 pet stores stocking marines and my store is currently cycling a reef tank.

look forward to more photos

regards,

Daniel

I do SCUBA....and so does my better half...but, her comfort level keeps us on the more novice/intermediate dives. Currently, I'm looking at a few days at the Qamea resort on Taveuni.....but, I'm still researching. For the potential Tahiti stop, I'm looking at the Bora Bora Nui resort. I know Hawaii really well...but, I've never been to the South Pacific...this is a whole new learning process for me. We probably won't find our way down in your neck of the woods for awhile and I don't want to pick a bad place to stay. Suggestions are welcome.

Cool. The south pacific is the diamond crown in diving circules. Fiji is the soft coral capital of the world :)

If you can I would STRONGLY reccomend Dive Kandavu on Kadavu island in Fiji. Small resort (max 7 couples), no shops nothing but real Fiji life and diving both in typical Fiji waters + the Great Astrolab Reef. 10/10.

The resort caters to American Tourists (a plus for you, not such a plus for us :).

My partner is similar to you, she is a competant but not 'hard core' diver. but she loved it in Fiji, lots of reef diving, easy diving with lots to see. many shark dives and just an awesome spot.

PM me your email if your interested, I am sure we still have contact names and numbers for them and I can send you some pics both above and bellow water.

Pie