Leopard Blenny (Exallias Brevis)

Aquatopia

Hi

Is anyone keeping one of these or know anything about them? Its a similar shape to the algae or lawnmower blenny - but shorter and stouter though, with a reddy/brown leopard dot sort of pattern.

Saw one in a LFS abroad, but i think they were quite rare. I also read in The Reef Aquarium (Tullock) that they are obligate coral munchers. Which i was amazed at cos i thought blennies were reef safe (!).

If anyone can shed any light that would be cool.

http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewImage.asp?AID=2422044&IID=78505875&INUM=3&ICT=3&IPP=24

• 1 month later...

I have a leopard blennie in my tank (550 litre). Certainly a colourful addition to the tank and heaps of personality... It is not your typical blennie as it is shaped like a rock skipper & has slightly different feeding habits.

They are difficult to maintain and require a very mature tank - mine eats a mixture of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and nips at the odd brain coral.

Take a look at the book "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael. This book is great as it identifies over 500 marine species (and details feeding habits & dificulty rating in captivity) & is very up to date.

Regards,

Blennie.