Quiet Sumps

livebearer_breeder

I was Just wondering if You could make a Sump Silent? I was at Pies last night and his one down stares is abit noisey, and if i were to setup a marine i would have it in my room, just wondering if i can make a Marine silent like i can my freshwaters? Cheers

Shae

(Cheers for the advice Pies, And good food from Jane :D )

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make them pretty silent, my whole setup is in the sitting room right by my bed room door. Once you have the design right ie standpipe etc. For me the biggest problem seems to be getting quite pumps. I have one cheap one running my skimmer that makes more noise than the rest of the system put together, all the other cheap power heads etc that I have now removed also rattled and hummed.

Go for it dude, from what I have seen you have the aptitude to get a really sucessful setup going. Just remember to do lots of research and planning, as you know theres some bigs costs involved, if you work out what you want now and get the right gear you will save lots in the long run. I made the mistake of thinking I would start with a small cheaper setup and now have a bunch of cheap crap gear that just wasted $.

I made the mistake of thinking I would start with a small cheaper setup and now have a bunch of cheap crap gear that just wasted $

:lol: so true.

there is a site somewhere that shows how to quieten down your sump. i will see if i can find it. essentially the overflow pipe went down to the sump then horizontally across the water surface about 150mm (3/4 of the pipe was submerged, with the rest sticking out of the water) and with an end cap on. on the top of the horizontal pipe were heaps of (about 12mm?) holes drilled along it. the water went down then bubbled up and out the top holes and onto the surface of the water. the author said it was very quiet. makes sense, there would be no or little 'drop' of water

I might be interested in some of that cheap gear if your not useing them, and willing to sell, Not for marine, Im sure i could put it to use with the Freshys.

Yeah im doing heaps of research at the momment. Pies told me how cheap MH can be, so i was really incouraged by the price i heard. I deffinatly want a sump, And that brings up another question, Is it possible to rig a System that doesnt need Holes in the tanks? And how would i go about it if so?

Shae

The main things to look out for with marine pumps are that they are completely ceramic, any metal bits (shafts etc) even stainless steel will rust. You then have to look at the application of the pump, ie some pumps don't like back pressure, so while it might have a good LPR rating as soon as it has a load on it (i.e. return pump to tank) it drops right off or become noisy etc. IMHO unless you are welling risk the $ trying odd pumps out stick to the tried and tested brands.

Shae - The sump downstairs is noisey at the moment because I am putting about 7000 litres and hour through a 3 foot sump, which is over-working it to the extreme. When I move it to the room, the tank should only make a whisper, but the skimmer will always make that 'hushing' noise and I don't think there will be much I can do about that.

Piezloa

I bought the King 3 with my setup when I first started out. It was cheap and got me through the first year. As for quiet, not really. I have replaced it with a Eheim 1262 and Eheim 1250, which are awesome pumps, but quite expensive new.

I just bought a Laguna 7 for a couple hundred that seems to work out fine. It is quieter than the King 3 and heaps more flow. I have no idea about Laguna's reputation, but it was relatively cheap at the time and allowed me to buy other goodies that I also wanted. I don't expect it to last forever (like the Eheims), but it is certainly doing the job for now. When I buy "the" pump for my return, I'm sure it will be a pressure rated Iwaki so that I can run some eductors for extra flow.

Steve

Thanks Layton - i see what u r getting at.

Livebearer_breeder...

So is it possible to Rig a Sump system that doesnt need holes in tanks?

Shae

Absolutely, i believe Tunze do a weir box system that sits on the tank. They may well be noisy though, and i believe they are a last resort. The return can easily be put back into the tank using piping over the top too, in conjunction with a spraybar or other products like Oceans Motions revolutions - some of this can be unsightly and cluttered though, depending on tank location.

I believe Chimera had his tank drilled even after he had set it up (am i right there Chim?) - just a case of getting a glazier who knows what he is doing.