New here a few questions

Leah.C

Hey everyone, newbie here, latley I’ve been thinking about getting back into fish keeping. I had a community tank about three years ago but I sold it when I moved becasue I couldn’t figure out how to shift the fish, I regret doing that so much though. 

I’m looking at just getting 250L-300L tank as thats about all I can manage by myself, getting the biggest SUNSUN Canister UV Filter available (from trolling this site they seem to have ok reveiws) What are peoples thoughts on this filter? can the uv light be left off or does it always run? Also while searching through You Tube vidios I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrUlHTW5Zo and just want to know your thoughts on how he sets up his filter (hope it’s ok to post links) 

The fish that I currently know I want are some Chocolate talking catfish if they even still import them, I do hope so as I had some last time and I loved these little fatties. Also I want to get a Chocolate Zebra Pleco or two, and two different types of tetra though not sure which ones yet. No idea what else is out there at the moment, do you guys have anything you would reccomend? 

Anyway thanks for reading, I will probably have a few more questions later once I get closer to actaully getting the tank, still in the planing stage right now, getting excited though :)

Welcome! 

Personally Sunsun wouldn't be my first choice-- they're easy on the budget but I'm yet to hear anything good about  them over other filters apart from that. My understanding of the UV is that it runs full time tho could be wrong there. It also only seems to clear up green water which can be solved other ways so personally wouldn't see it as a particularly useful feature of a filter. I have a 200L which runs off a Fluval 306 and an Aquis 1200. The Fluval was twice the price but I like it twice as much as the Aquis :P its much easier to start and set up the input and output hoses are nicer,  and it's easier to clean and is quieter. Aquis isn't a bad filter tho and I'm happier for having it than I was with just a Fluval as it means I have a backup in case one goes kaput as well as a heap of room for biomedia to grow :) so would personally recommend the fluval because despite being pricier,   it's much much nicer in the long run :) I'll have a look at the YouTube link later,  on data atm lol. 

Last I saw HFF had CTCs in Stock, so I'm sure you'll be able to find one wherever you're based :) 

I'm currently in a state of getting ready to move,  so know the feeling lol. Bit nervous but I've compacted myself down to two tanks (well.. And a frog tank so 3 but it's not technically a fish tank :P) and will just give myself a day to specifically move the tanks with my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly. I've just got a 200L and a 60L tho :) 

Tetra... Really depends on what type you're into. I'd straight up avoid neons (Cardinals look similar without most of the problems if you really want a red and blue fish) but would say go into a fish shop,  see what catches your eye,  then go home and research what it needs and how it fits with the rest of the tank inhabitants. I don't know much about CTCs but make sure you don't end up with a small tetra that could be eaten,  or a nippy tetra that could hurt the other fish,  or one that requires a higher temp or something :) maybe look into some danios and rasbora too,  as some of those can be very pretty :3