Can injured electric yellow return

Chasingthepleco

I have 9 fish in my tank. 3 electric yellows, 3 electric blues (1m, 2f) & 3 adult bristlenose. There are plenty of places to hide and the tank is planted in the centre. One of my electric yellows has been acting a bit weird for the past few weeks. Hiding usually vertical behind the filter pipe right where the male electric blue hangs out. The yellow seems terrified but will come out to eat and at times leave its vertical position. I turned on the tank light one morning when this particular yellow was at the top of the tank on its side but still alive. I went to catch it and it was full of life again, but I caught it and put it still in the same tank but in a large breeding trap to give it a chance to recover. It had been badly fin nipped. It is acting normal within this enclosure but looks very beaten up. What should I do? Should I put the fish back in with the others? Thanks.

what size is your tank?

the yellow is trying to avoid being attacked based on what you've said. the best way of keeping africans is to have many more than you have. At least 6 of each species ideally only one or two males. this spreads the aggression over many more fish. Basically, the dominant male will chase everyone else to become or stay the boss, then he'll harass the females for breeding. It's all about who is the toughest, the toughest eats best and breeds the most. Think of african fish as having ten times the normal animal instint when it comes to dominance and breeding behaviour.