night lights

sandman

Can someone give me the lowdown on night lighting for my freshwater tank.What could I use and were would I put them if I had them and how long would you keep them on for.Are they just for viewing the after dark activities of the fish or do they have other applications. Thanks

Night lights or moon lights are typically used for human use ONLY, to allow viewing tanks in low light conditions and to simulate moon lights for our aesthetic pleasure.

Moon lights are usually made up of royal blue only. Unfortunately fish can still see blue, so even though it is dim for us it is brighter for fish. Having moon/night lights on all night will generally prevent fish from being able to sleep properly, unless there are some dim caves to hide in.

You could have them on for an hour or two after your lights turn off, so that you won't really extend your lighting schedule by much (as the lighting is low) but can still see fish movement.

If you want a light to be able to view the fish while they are sleeping, red is part of the spectrum that generally can't be viewed by fish eyes.

Moon lights provide no benefit to your fish except for very specific fish that require moon lights for spawning, but if you are going to go down this route you need to do A LOT of research first.

If you want moon lights, you can build some relatively cheaply from DIY electronics (less than $30 for up to a 4 foot tank). If you are interested let me know. Otherwise you can buy moonlight bulbs.

Night lights or moon lights are typically used for human use ONLY, to allow viewing tanks in low light conditions and to simulate moon lights for our aesthetic pleasure.

+1 :bggrn:

My Moonlight comes on when my main light turns off and the moonlight itself turns off around 11 at night , its just there cause it looks cool really , better than a Black tank and it does allow me to see the Cuckoo Synos messing around as they are way more active when the main lights go down .