Tank footprint dimentions for africans.

flymike

Hi Guys,

I'm needing to buy a new biger tank pretty shortly.

Have a few second hand options Im looking in to.

My question is....

In your opinion/experiences/thoughts.....

Is a longer skinnier large tank 1800x600ish with a footprint of around 1.08m2 better suited than a shorter wider tank of 1500x700ish with a footprint of around 1.05m2?

Dose the longer length spread the territory's and aggression apart a little more

We've been asked to move out of our rented property (for the landlords family), We are buying a house in feb, and have decided to live in a caravan at the inlaws for the next 5 months. I am planning to put my african cichlids, mostly juvies and young adults between 1-4 inches each(11 species in total) in to one large tank for "storage" until our own property is ready to live in.

My one consideration is that I'm growing out 6 giraffes, and was advised to look at a 6' long tank to get the best out of them, the other fish will be spread around this and two 4 footers once the house is ok,ed early next year

Thanks

Mike

IMO these 2 tanks are so similar footprint wise and either would do. personally i would go for the 6ftr as the width is really good at 600. The 5ftr is nice and wide but you lose a bit of length. Generally a shorter wider tank is prob better than a long skinny tank but it has a good width anyway and the extra length will help. I would say a 1800 (6ft) x 600 (2ft) will house all the africans we have available to us.