excessively high pH

chimera

My pH (albeit dry-tab test - so not highly accurate anyway) states a pH of close to 9.0. i have just done this test now - near the very end of the photoperiod so pH is likely to be higher anyway (even up to 0.5 higher!), however i need to confirm this properly with an electronic pH meter because i dont trust the dry-tab kit.

i believe the problem is because the pump that stirs my kalkwasser with my top-up water occurs too close to dosing (only about 15 minutes prior) so it does not give the kalk enough time to settle and get added to my tank. i've also reduced an end on my plumbing as water enters my sump too to increase aeration so hopefully this will also help.

is there anyone in auckland area that either 1. has one for sale or 2. can loan me their one so i can test properly til i get around to buying one?

that is the brand i have. only shows 8.2 on colour chart as a greeny colour then 9.0 is a bluey colour. hard to tell what's in between!

have my skimmer in bits at the moment, even stripped down the eheims. dont think this thing has ever been thoroughly cleaned since new! now I gotta just put it back together... :D