hole sizes

Diver

Hi,

I’m about to get some holes drill in my tank to add a chiller and to add a squid to my setup. What size should I make the holes. The squid is the return from the overflow and I think it is about 3000lt, the chiller will be about 400lt. I want to get sizes that will make it easy to get plumbing parts for and not restrict the flow.

TIA,

Diver

scwd is only 3/4" (20mm) from memory? i would still make the holes 1" (25mm). do the same for the chiller, you can always restrict the flow by adding reducers - but I would not even bother with that. I would go 25mm for all of them.

Go as big as you can with-in reason, you cant redo a hole and it is easy to reduce the plumbing to suit the device, remember also that the bulkhead takes up alot of the hole. can't remember the numbers but eg a 35mm hole once bulkhead is added will only leave you 25mm hole. I would go for 35-40mm at least, that way if you want to T off water to a sump or drain etc you can do it without adding another hole. Your Squid hole can be what ever you 25mm(?) bulkhead needs which I think will be 32mm.

Remember also that volume of water through a hole is a squared factor, i.e. 2 x 25mm hole dont equal 1 x 50mm hole, in fact far from it.

Having done this a few times with SCWD here is what I would do.

I would use 15 or 20mm for the SCWD inputs, NO VALUE in going larger. I would reccomend using it as a closed loop, not as part of the sump return, this is how we modded my old tank (bellow) for Suphews setup. Lots of positive reasons to do it this way.

Check this thread for how I built it:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... 95&start=0

Pies

I would use 15 or 20mm for the SCWD inputs, NO VALUE in going larger

Disagree. Go larger and you can always reduce it. What happens if the SCWD/pump combo does not do the job you want and you want more flow? Waste of time and money. Go 25mm and get Hansen reducers - at least it allows for change/expansion in the future.

Disagree. Go larger and you can always reduce it. What happens if the SCWD/pump combo does not do the job you want and you want more flow? Waste of time and money. Go 25mm and get Hansen reducers - at least it allows for change/expansion in the future.

Plumbing advice from Chimera... :o

Pies

j/k :)