Do I need a second filter?

samuel90

have you got filter wool in your canister? get it from ya local cut to fit in the top tray. It will help to polish the water. Try that first cheaper than gettin another filter. Should help a bit

I agree it is probably more to do with your media than than the amount of filtration.

you have plenty of filtration for that tank.

What are the little bits like? Do they float to the surface?

make sure the filter pads are sitting properly in the baskets without gaps between the pad and the basket around the edges. The flow of a CF canister comes in through the holes with rubber seals, down to the bottom of the bucket and up through the baskets to the outlet of the canister.

Make sure the pad with the largest gaps are on the bottom and the smallest gaps on the top. If the pads need cleaning the force of the water may be pushing one of the pads up so bypassing it and not mechanically cleaning the water.

I haven't used wool in any of my three canisters for years and the clarity is excellent so not critical to use it but if you do it will catch particles.