Quick guppy qustion

Rusty

Newbie here just gotmy self a tank got everything going good

fish at the moment

2x male guppies

3x female guppies

1x bristle nose cat

well after a week of having my tank my guppies have had some babies

just wondering how long do they take to come out of hiding in my floating plant, also how low after hacthing do they start colouring.

Thanks.

Hi Matt,

The fry will stay hidden as long as they feel unsafe, and as the saying goes... "Only the fittest survive" :)

At a week old they may have enough size about them for the parents to ignore, but a few of the smaller ones may become dinner for the adults if they can't get under cover quick enough.

Lots of plants and hiding places is the way to go, and if you can... then feed them some newly hatched brine shrimp. This will give them a boost and promote growth.. plus it will take the adults interest away from eating the fry :)

You should be able to sex them at four weeks, and by this time they should be showing a bit of colour.

We have a new guppy club being formed if you are interested.. (See Livebearer Section)

HTH :)

Bill.

Hi again,

Yep.. there's quite a few posts on growing BS (brineshrimp)

You can culture small amounts using the upturned Coke Bottle method.

If you click on the "Search" at the top of the page and enter Brine Shrimp.. or brineshrimp in the space provided (don't bother with the author bit).. then you should see heaps of info on them.

HTH :)

Bill.