black beard algae

nudge

cool thanks angus, all the info i have found on using florish has been in planted tanks where the plants make use of the excel, but as my tank has no plants do i leave the excel in the tank till the next wc or do a wc a couple of days after dosing the tank?

Plants or no plants, double dosing of F.Excel will work in killing BBA. I'd follow the course, i.e. as many double doses as it takes to start to see the awesome red colour before doing a water change. In my case, usually 2-3 doses does the trick (one large dose followed by much smaller doses). I've never had a fish death due to the double dosing, but I strictly stick to the recommended amounts given on the bottle - except for doubling them :wink:

Doing a water change during the dosing will dilute the effectiveness of the treatment and render it useless. My recommendation: get the red colour, wait another day, then do a water change if you are so keen.