Water test kit - good buy?

Susi

It is fairly neccesary to have test kits otherwise you're basically shooting in the dark. You can get test kits for each individual thing (eg. just pH or just Nitrate, etc) for around $25 each so in light of that I'd say it's a good buy. But don't take my word for it, wait and see what the common consensus is on here.

I dont want to tell you not to buy them cause they have a purpose, but I have a ton of kits and rearly ever use them, when I do its just normally for interest.

reasons for using them (NB this comes with a big IMHO clause)

1) you like doing tests (hey I have gone through stages of it!)

2) you have a new setup and you want to know how its going

3) you have fish that require special conditions that need to be checked like PH

4) you have a problem, like algal blooms, fish that keep getting sick etc

HI again Suzi ,

great to see someone else going thru all the same questions I did 6 months ago :D

I purchased that exact kit from the LFS. I must confess that I was really keen because many years ago I did a BSc and enjoyed chemistry so surphews' # 1 I'm guilty - even kept a log book :oops:

Then pretty much guilty for #2 as well.

But now I am a bit more comfortable with fish keeping i run the tests about evry 2 weeks.

I have got into growing plants as well now, and have added a Iron test kit which I use ocasionally.

HTH John