New to Ciclids- HELP :)

Holly

Hi guys,

I'm good friends with Jennifer and she has recommended that I come and have a chat to you all about some ideas for a new tank.

I currently have 3 tanks setup at home, a couple of community and one with some large goldfish.

I have a new tank on the way, a Jinlong -

- Total height (stand and tank) 1360mm

- Length (side to side) 1000mm

- Tank height 630mm (note that some of this measurement is the base and top surrounds)

- Tank depth (front to back) 420mm

The filter is a Fluval 205 and the lights have reflectors too.

I either put my massive goldfish in need of a new home in this tank or have a new cichlid tank. If I go this way then I still have an Aqua One 620 (90L) to play with.

I really like the idea of getting some nice electric yellows and possibly something else- preferably blue :) Also I would prefer to get fewer fish and let them grow into the tank rather than running the risk of overstocking when they get bigger. I went to view a setup last night locally, it's currently on trademe and was the worst overstocked tank I have ever seen and the fish were pretty awful- put me off cichlids for a second! I would even be open to some nice dwarf cihlids.

So I'd love some ideas for both options- 90L and approx 250L. I'm quite a newbie to the whole thing so any advice you can give me would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance,

Holly :dunno: :digH:

Hi and welcome :)

Your new tank would be a good size for a demasoni/electric yellow tank, they are a really good mix because the dems are a very brilliant blue and the yellows are a nice yellow so you get blue/yellow in the same tank.. They are also both more suitable for smaller tanks because they stay smaller, the major consideration for this mix is making sure you have at least 10-12 (ideally 15+) demasoni because they are very hard on each other and need to be kept in colonies to spread the aggression. If you did want some dems I will have some ready in a few weeks that I will be selling, just let me know..

Hi and welcome :)

Your new tank would be a good size for a demasoni/electric yellow tank, they are a really good mix because the dems are a very brilliant blue and the yellows are a nice yellow so you get blue/yellow in the same tank.. They are also both more suitable for smaller tanks because they stay smaller, the major consideration for this mix is making sure you have at least 10-12 (ideally 15+) demasoni because they are very hard on each other and need to be kept in colonies to spread the aggression. If you did want some dems I will have some ready in a few weeks that I will be selling, just let me know..

I really like the look of this combination, I think it is Pheonix who has a Dem/Electric Yellow tank? How big are the Dems fully grown, could a tank this size handle having the needed 10-15+ in it long term?

I don't have the tank yet so won't be ready for fish just yet :( I'm waiting on the lovely Jennifer to make her next trip to Dunedin- she will bring it with her! Yay. Then I will have to cycle it before I'm ready for the fun stuff. I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes :)

Yeah Phoenix did have a really nice dem/yellow tank I can't remember what happened but they started to die so he sold them all :( yellows/Dems are a good combo and should be ok in a tank with the footprint you have quoted (1000 x 400).

Cycling your tank will be pretty easy if you were starting out with smaller fish, take some media from one of your existing tanks and chuck the fish in. Small fish have a smaller bio load and there is a large volume of water to dissipate any ammonia spike that may occur.

I have a yellow/Dem setup in an ar980, its my lowest maintenance and definitely my most colourful tank.

They are super hardy fish, relatively cheap and they breed easily, so boosting numbers is a piece of cake.

Sounds like this could be a good option then :) How many of each fish do you have in your tank?

I have approx 12-15 of each and 3 Juli Regani, they aren't fully grown yet but still looks good, I do run a small canister filter to boost the filtration which will become more important as they grow on, I will try and snap a pic for you so you get the idea.

Owen

I have approx 12-15 of each and 3 Juli Regani, they aren't fully grown yet but still looks good, I do run a small canister filter to boost the filtration which will become more important as they grow on, I will try and snap a pic for you so you get the idea.

Owen

Sounds like a nice tank, pics would be good.. Aggression only gets really bad when they get some size on them and the males start throwing their weight around, but by that stage you ususally have rocks filled with fry growing out from them spawning when they were youngers so you have plenty of fish. I have thinned my 30 odd that I used to have out to 2m and around 12f and that seems to work really well in a 350L 5ft.

• 1 month later...