Tank Placement

fishybiz

I have a long term customer that wants African Cichlids. We are worried about the size of the tank and the fact that it will be viewed from both sides with customers sitting and walking close to the tank (about 3ft away). Hubby is worried that the fish will freak out and bang into rocks and glass. We will be getting the tank and stand made but it can only be 1m long and 400 deep - height is negotiable and we also have to have hoses at the end of the tank rather than the back due to it being viewed from both sides. I had been planning the usual, electric yellows, peacocks, dolphins, lionhead, red empress, electric blues. I would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this. They have had a community planted tank for the last 10 years so something different would be nice but must be easily cared for as we only visit fortnightly once tank is cycled. TYIA. I really want to do this so that I can use the tank in my house for a discus tank and get rid of the cichlids that are presently in there.

I agree the fish will get used to the tank placement and people moving by it is a shame you can't make it wider so that you can put some rocks down the middle for somewhere for them to chill out.

I also agree with Smidey though not many of those fish should be kept in a tank that small.

Extra height doesn't mean jack, height makes for more litres but doesn't aid with the oxygen exchange which is purely based on surface area, and also doesn't create any extra territory for aggressive fish like African cichlids.

I would ditch the haps off your list and it should be ok depending on numbers, in a 1m tank you can also do a colony of dems.

600 wide would be better.