Tropheus In the country, who has what?

Simian

The red phoenix/bishop were developed by a farm called fishes of Burundi. They developed most of the different looking tropheus seen on

The net e.g golden Bemba, star spotted duboisi, golden kariza, red bisop and the albino brichardi.

The red bishops that are bred in Europe came from the same farm but have been developed further by breeders but the ones that went to Asia didn't. The Asian trops are also called fire fox duboisi to give it their own twist. The truth is not clear but the pheonix is apparently a line bred fish from caramba. There are also pictures of golden looking trops that looks like the red pheonix bred from a group of caramba. The original breeder has more from the group now.

Most of the tropa that we have are so far from wild fish how can we say that they are what they are.

what do you mean "tropa"? & how can you say it is hard to tell what the fish we have here are? pemba, duboisi, moliro, ikola & caramba that are here certainly look like the wild versions that people keep in aquariums in other countries.

They do look like wild fish from over seas but what I mean is the brightness in colour, body shape and behaviour have changed over time. In saying that we have to do with what we are given.

Tropa = trops

at least our current fish look very similar or the same as the wild ones, these look nothing like anything wild. the colour is not that great & their massive eyes make them look like they come from the light deprived deep of the lake.

troph i can relate to, tropa & trops :gigl: i was expecting tropa to be short for tropical :lol:

They are line bred that's why they have that colour. Honestly they look great when older. Don't get me wrong I love WC fish but this has to be one of the sweetest looking trops.

Fish may stop growing when kept in the wrong condition but the actual eye never stops growing. The fish also grow the most in the first 6 months and these fish have gone though alot of stress so may have been compromised on the size.

That pic is probably not of the actual fish, its probably a file photo from the breeder, HFF may be able to clear that one up.

If the timing was better I'd grab the group too, I just don't have the space unless I sold my Ikola colony, and that would be unlikely to earn enough to make it worthwhile, and as they have finally started breeding again, I'd need a damn good offer, another small spawn will see me with my numbers right for the planned final set-up. Then I can start selling them on to others who want Ikola. I haven't seen any young for sale for about a year, so they could finance my next colony within a year once my girls start producing more young per batch, they are still learning.

Just doesn't stack up to start again with a new strain for me. :dunno:

Maybe next time

That pic is probably not of the actual fish, its probably a file photo from the breeder, HFF may be able to clear that one up.

if not then trying to sell fish off a pic that doesn't represent the fish for sale is a less than ideal situation to be. it will be interesting to see either way.

If the timing was better I'd grab the group too, I just don't have the space unless I sold my Ikola colony, and that would be unlikely to earn enough to make it worthwhile, and as they have finally started breeding again, I'd need a damn good offer, another small spawn will see me with my numbers right for the planned final set-up. Then I can start selling them on to others who want Ikola. I haven't seen any young for sale for about a year, so they could finance my next colony within a year once my girls start producing more young per batch, they are still learning.

Just doesn't stack up to start again with a new strain for me. :dunno:

Maybe next time

I think those pics are of the fish for sale there is a guy associated with one of the importers who puts up some pretty good pics on here just before fish hit the market and I suspect he took them, boban_nz is his username.

Glad to hear your ikola are going well for you, I failed with mine started off with 9 (mostly females) and now I am down to 1m 3f that just wont breed, going to try again with them soon.. I notice that someone is selling them on trademe now up here, I think it was the guy I sold a spare adult male to because he had 6 big females and had just lost his male, either way it will be good to see more ikola around.

Hopefully someone buys all of these ones and gets them going, I would like to see what they grow up like..