Water cloudiness - new tank syndrome/bacterial bloom/algae??

b16a2

So my tank has been cloudy now for around two weeks and ive tried to get rid of the problem but havent had any luck so far. Although the tank has been running for a few months now and was properly cycled with stability and a few small fish, i thought it may have been new tank syndrome, but with ammonia and nitrite being pretty much zero and the nitrate levels have never gone over 15ppm i dont think it is? Figured it may then be an algae issue as its a newly setup planted tank running co2 injection, ferts and a HO glo t5 unit. Ive stopped using ferts this week and continued using flourish excel to see if the cloudiness and/or algae has stopped but haven't really noticed any improvement. Have been doing major water changes 3-4 times a week incase it was the potassium nitrate causing the problem, which improves it for a while but then returns back to the normal cloudiness after a short time. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the issue?

DSC03884.jpg

How well did you wash that silica sand? And what sort of filtration are you running? I would fill your filter with filter wool (it will require more cleaning probably every week or so but monitor flow) and see if it is really fine particles that can be filtered out from the sand not being washed well enough..

How well did you wash that silica sand? And what sort of filtration are you running? I would fill your filter with filter wool (it will require more cleaning probably every week or so but monitor flow) and see if it is really fine particles that can be filtered out from the sand not being washed well enough..

nah its definitely not the sand aye, i washed it in small batches numerous times until the water was crystal clear and my 4 foot has silica sand and haven't had issues with that. filtration wise i'm running a 2213 substrat pro etc and its got a fair bit of filter wool that i replaced only a few days ago

Maybe excess carbon is causing an algae bloom?? If I'm reading correctly you have CO2 injection and you're using Excel, both sources of carbon.

yeah im running both co2 and excel, the co2 is at a current rate of 1 bubble per 5 seconds which isn't much at all and dosing 3ml of excel every other day. maybe i should stop both of them and do what skippy has suggested and just blackout the tank for a few days. problem with that is ive got new glosso shoots coming through and will suck if they start to die off :facepalm: