Sealing Particle Board enclosures

Jason22

I'm rebuilding my locusts boxes and because they can get a bit damp (from the grass and spilling water). I was just wondering what other people have used with success to seal similar things. the boxes are made out of particle board (not MDF if that makes a difference).

it doesn't matter how well you seal particle board or mdf if it is in regular contact with mositure it will swell. to prevent it swelling you would need to make the outer layer water proof. Particle board performs better than mdf when wet as it is pourous so lets most of the moisture out rather than mdf which retains the moisture. i would use plywood if it is regularly getting wet but over time that will still rot if you don't use treated ply. Don't use "marine ply" or "Premium A" which they now call it as it is not treated.

Thanks. i was thinking i could paint it with a weather shield sort of paint or a polyurethene.

they wont get to wet and will dry out quickly because the boxes are heated. it only when there gets a bit of build up of locust waste and can't dry out that well.

non-toxic would be the best.