RES with Mbuna cichlids

kinnadian

Hey guys.

I'm currently housing a pair of RES (both about 2" now) in a 55g with some mbuna (sort of a temporary thing). At the moment the turtles and mbuna get along well enough, but I realise eventually the turtles will eat most of the fish.

I was wondering when you guys thought that would be (ie what sized turtle)? There are a couple wee cichlids in there at the moment that the turtles could probably almost swallow whole if they felt like it, and I would rather not have that happen, so I just wanted some kind of timeline as to when I have to buy/build a new tank by? They are coming up 5 and 6 months old.

And as an aside, can anyone who has made tanks in the past give me a really rough estimate of the cost of a 100g tank? (Like 120Lx60Wx50H).

To be honest, the turtles may have aggression problems against each other when they are older. I would suggest having two 55G tanks. As in for them eating the fish I'd say their probally eating them now! My res when he was bout that long was eating danios.

Fish will get eaten when the turtle feels like it. Some turtles will eat fish from a very young age...others have fish living in their tank for years! Also as squirt said, go for 2 tanks...but at least 120l tanks....bigger if you can :thup:

I have 3 tanks with plecos in permanently. Need to watch tho as sometimes a new turtle may not be suited to be in with a plec as wants to bite the fins too much. Other fish are whatever someone may donate as a feeder fish...basically guppies and platties. I had 11 platties in my 6ft tank...then one day there were 7...a few weeks later 4, and theres been 3 for the past month or so....I dont really want them to be eaten lol! They provide a nice splash of colour and interest to the tank. I know that if I had "Minnie" in there the fish would have all gone in a few minutes! I cant provide a steady supply of fish as dont have enough breeding for all the turts. I try and keep the fish for the Snakenecks as its more important for their diet to have live fish. Would love to have a steady supply of feeder fish :o