clams reducing nitrates

chimera

I have heard about people claiming that clams grow better with nitrates present. I personally don't belive it to be true, my clams have grown and my nitrates are low to 0. Still maybee they would be higher without the clams? I doubt it.

Although this may not be the best indicator. Clams live in the same parts of the reef as SPS corals like Acropora, so it stands to reason they are designed to live in the same conditions (0 nitrate). Thats the theory I am working too and my clams are doing great (3 of em).

Pie

I have also heard about clams reduce nitrates but i really don't think it would reduce it by a large amount. Most importantly i really don't think it is a smart way to keep lots of clams in a high nitrates tank for the purpose of reducing nitrates.

Have anyone here add clams in the tank and nitrates reduces?

To clams, nitrate is just a source of nitrogen. They use ammonia as well, just like corals.

I suppose the difference between corals and clams is that clams have a higher proportion of tissue, meaning they can use more nitrogen while taking up a smaller area in your tank.

Corals will grow faster with nitrate as well.

Layton